Discuss recommend a shower pump? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brman

I know this isn't a plumber's forum but......

can anyone recommend a reliable pump to feed an electric shower? (currently gravity fed from a tank and doesn't have enough pressure)
Positive head, single impeller of fairly low power (1.5bar+) is fine but this is for my own house so I want something that will last well beyond the manufacturers warranty!

Oh, and don't tell me to get a plumber in! :lol:

google Triton T450i

about ÂŁ140 inc. vat.

There are electric showers that have 'booster' pumps that are not allowed to be fed from the mains water they must be fed from a tank. We have one on the third floor that a previous owner plumbed into mains and when ever it was used it sucked the water out of the mains water pipe and no other taps in the building worked!!! It was supposed to be connected to a loft tank. It is now plumbed correctly and is a great shower in a bathroom that has low water pressure.
They are heated by electric and pressure boosted by an internal pump. You wire them in as normal but they must be fed from a tank.

If the mains is feeding a shower with an element, yes. This will be for a mixer unit and the pump to boost the pressure of the hot water supplying the shower unit.

thanks guys. That Triton unit is much smaller than I expected which is a bit of a bonus.

Thought most manufacturers state that electric showers are to be fed from the mains water and not a tank?

I suspect they do which is why I need a pump to get one to work properly ;)
There isn't enough mains pressure in our house to drive a electric shower anyway so whatever the solution it needs a pump.

There are electric showers that have 'booster' pumps that are not allowed to be fed from the mains water they must be fed from a tank. We have one on the third floor that a previous owner plumbed into mains and when ever it was used it sucked the water out of the mains water pipe and no other taps in the building worked!!! It was supposed to be connected to a loft tank. It is now plumbed correctly and is a great shower in a bathroom that has low water pressure.
They are heated by electric and pressure boosted by an internal pump. You wire them in as normal but they must be fed from a tank.

what make is that? We currently have a gainsborough pumped electric shower and it is rubbish - takes ages to change temperature and makes a hell of a racket. Hence wanting to change it for a standard shower with a separate pump.

- - - Updated - - -

If the mains is feeding a shower with an element, yes. This will be for a mixer unit and the pump to boost the pressure of the hot water supplying the shower unit.

no, actually it is to feed a electric shower.........

Edit: I should add that we already have a grunfoss pump (looks like a central heating pump) to boost the cold water mains pressure but it would not cope with driving a shower as well as all the taps etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our one is a Triton (can't remember number) and the temp adjust is good but it is a little noisy. I think it's an old version of the T80si but 7.5Kw similar to this : Triton Pumped Electric Showers with Pump
Not cheap and it has an internal pump so it's never going to be silent. Had I known about the external booster pump I may have replaced our T80Si with a normal shower and an external pump in the loft. Although it does require more electrical work with a separate pump but it would be quieter.

Our one is a Triton (can't remember number) and the temp adjust is good but it is a little noisy. I think it's an old version of the T80si but 7.5Kw similar to this : Triton Pumped Electric Showers with Pump
Not cheap and it has an internal pump so it's never going to be silent. Had I known about the external booster pump I may have replaced our T80Si with a normal shower and an external pump in the loft. Although it does require more electrical work with a separate pump but it would be quieter.

Thanks! We also have a triton pumped mixer shower (i.e. not electrically heated but does have a pump built it) which is much quieter than the horrible gainsborough thing. I did think of swapping the gainsborough with a triton pumped electric shower but figured it was just a cheap getting a separate pump, hence the question here.

Reply to recommend a shower pump? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net