Discuss Recommendations for metal seam roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BruceB

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have a potential job where there is a flat (5 degree slope) metal roof constructed using sheets with folded metal seams. My thoughts:

- Using Uni-solar amorphous laminates laid between the seams looks a very neat solution. But I cannot get the numbers to work. Looking at the trade prices I could access last night the amorphous laminate rolls were getting on for twice as expensive per Wp as cheap solar panels. And the power density per unit roof area is less than panels. So apart from the aesthetic I cannot see why anyone would go the amorphous route.

- Considering putting a load of frames on roof to hold panels. eg console or schuco roof system. But do not want to increase roof loading by putting ballast up there. Schuco do a couple of clamps that fit directly onto metal seams with no roof penetrations. Anyone used a combination of frames and seam clamps to hold panels in landscape format on a roof?

Regards
Bruce

As on another post we've got a couple of projects we've got a couple of projects where we're costing both options.

With the uni-solar, don't forget the time saved on the install as well, that adds up.

With the standup seams, if it is a built up roof, you will probably find that the top layer isn't bonded to the insulation layers, so you've got to be really careful with both the downforce and uplift loading - it's one we send our structural engineers into a cupboard for and let them out when they're done!

Frames and seam clamps see above re calcs. the uplift can be a killer.

Thanks for the reply. I have read some of the manufacturers specs and they have clips that get rolled into the seam to hold it down. I do not yet know who made the roof I saw though.
Regards
Bruce

Reply to Recommendations for metal seam roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net