Discuss Recommended hand tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

JasonB

Trainee
Supporter
Reaction score
Just started on my Level 2 & 3 courses for 2365 but i am slowly looking to build up my tools ready..
I was looking for recommendations on screwdrivers and side cutters etc. to start with.
I know Wera & Knipex brands are popular
But i was looking to get maybe C.K cutters etc. to start with.

Any recommendations on anything appreciated..

Aldi have a VDE screwdriver set for £4.99, don'tknock 'em i have had a set for 10 yearsa used and abused. lost 2 but rest still as good as new. ideal if you are tight for funfs. sidecutters though always be prepared to pay more., CK, NWS ,Bahco, Knipex. try and find a combi set. sidecutters and narrow nose pliers. have a look on TLC, or even on ebay:

same seller: these have the 3.5mm screw cutter. essential IMO.

Aldi have a VDE screwdriver set for £4.99, don'tknock 'em i have had a set for 10 yearsa used and abused. lost 2 but rest still as good as new. ideal if you are tight for funfs. sidecutters though always be prepared to pay more., CK, NWS ,Bahco, Knipex. try and find a combi set. sidecutters and narrow nose pliers. have a look on TLC, or even on ebay:

same seller: these have the 3.5mm screw cutter. essential IMO.

Thanks i will take a look..

Keep an eye on ebay for electricians vde rated tools , often find sparks packing up the trade and selling off their tools

You don't need to spend a lot on tools , keep your bag light and only buy the necessary

I can vouch for the aldi drivers and auto wirestripper, although I did break my stripper. Thr handles on both are comfy.

Don't feel like you have to get the big brands, get what you feel more comfortable with.

My cutters were the Draper Expert Ergo range and loved them, so much so that even thou I have thr Knipex install pliers, I'm still going for my DEE 7-in-1s

Upgraded my driver's to Wera because I was them everywhere but thtbaldi drivers have a similar feel handle so would do to get started.

Beware though; once you get 1 tool from Aldi/Lidl you'll be forever checking that middle aisle for new goodies ?

The best screwdrivers (for me) i've ever used are Facom - big handles which i like. Their tools are phenomenal and they do a lot of stuff for cars like spanners and socket sets. Pricey though.

Those Magnusson sets look decent if you're on a budget but i can't vouch for them as never used them.

I've got Stanley FatMax VDE's, they're alright but not something i'd buy again.

I personally don't use side cutters much for installing because i hate them. I usually use something like the Wiha Z14117006SB cutters because they have a straight cut on them and you can strip flex and 1.5-2.5 with them.

Things you will 100% need on site compared to college is different but what you definitely need for site is, imo, as follows:

• Something to cut/strip cables with. Most guys use side cutters for it all.
  • Cordless drill as a minimum, but impact driver very handy.
  • Level
  • Selection of slotted, a couple of pozi's and a couple of phillips screwdrivers.
  • Volt stick as a minimum, voltage test leads preferable.
  • Hammer
  • Knife
  • Pencil
  • Sharpie
  • Tape
  • Junior hacksaw
  • Grips
  • Something like universal pliers (for pulling cable and doubling over, i personally use bent needle nose)
Anything on top of this depends on what type of site you end up on whether commercial, domestic etc, but you might want to look longer term at stuff like allen key set, multi tool, SDS, grinder, board lifters, rods, bush spanner, hole saw set etc.

I'm working commercial at the minute and some blokes are turning up with literally a selection of drivers, side cutters and a hammer. I was putting in tray today and all i needed was a pair of snips.

The best screwdrivers (for me) i've ever used are Facom - big handles which i like. Their tools are phenomenal and they do a lot of stuff for cars like spanners and socket sets. Pricey though.

Those Magnusson sets look decent if you're on a budget but i can't vouch for them as never used them.

I've got Stanley FatMax VDE's, they're alright but not something i'd buy again.

I personally don't use side cutters much for installing because i hate them. I usually use something like the Wiha Z14117006SB cutters because they have a straight cut on them and you can strip flex and 1.5-2.5 with them.

Things you will 100% need on site compared to college is different but what you definitely need for site is, imo, as follows:

• Something to cut/strip cables with. Most guys use side cutters for it all.
  • Cordless drill as a minimum, but impact driver very handy.
  • Level
  • Selection of slotted, a couple of pozi's and a couple of phillips screwdrivers.
  • Volt stick as a minimum, voltage test leads preferable.
  • Hammer
  • Knife
  • Pencil
  • Sharpie
  • Tape
  • Junior hacksaw
  • Grips
  • Something like universal pliers (for pulling cable and doubling over, i personally use bent needle nose)
Anything on top of this depends on what type of site you end up on whether commercial, domestic etc, but you might want to look longer term at stuff like allen key set, multi tool, SDS, grinder, board lifters, rods, bush spanner, hole saw set etc.

I'm working commercial at the minute and some blokes are turning up with literally a selection of drivers, side cutters and a hammer. I was putting in tray today and all i needed was a pair of snips.
Thanks for the feedback and the list, i will take note.

Thanks again ?

Reply to Recommended hand tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net