Discuss Recommended Installation for Downlights when Cable is side entry in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

What sort of installation method would you recommend for installing up/down lights on a house when the cable entry is from the side?

The lights only have rear entry available so I assume I would have to mount them on a low profile Junction Box.

The cable I'm using is 1.5mm SWA 3 core which is clipped directly to the Brick surface. It's quite high up about 2-3m.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C4C64FG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found these as they have a flat surface for screwing onto, will need some washers to keep the seal:

Wiska 815N Wiska WIB1 Weatherproof Outdoor Junction Box Black IP65 - 110 x 110 x 60mm - Decswitch.com - https://www.decswitch.com/wiska-815n-wiska-wib1-weatherproof-outdoor-junction-box-black-ip65-dash-110-x-110-x-60mm.html

Also does anyone know how it would look having the lights 60mm further out from the wall?

Best Regards,

If you mount the lights 60mm further off the wall it will reduce the amount of effective light they give. They're not a great choice of light fitting considering your cable installation method, can't you find something more appropriate that's designed for side entry cables?.

They will look seriously poor if you fit them like that. Even mounting them on circular conduit boxes will not look great and there is a chance those fittings will not sit on one.

I suppose you could chip all small hole out of the wall directly under the fitting and then continue behind the fitting to the entry hole?

Or.. Fashion a treated piece of wood into a circle, slightly larger than the light, then make a small hole/channel to allow the cable to pass through and behind?

why not run the swa to a wiska box/enclosure, place the said box high up under soffit or where it doesnt look out of place, you can even spray it to match the brickwork if needed - I sprayed one terracotta recently, then run flex from the box to the lights? you can then position each light along the mortar line and remove just enough to feed the flex in behind fitting and enter as intended?

Also why are you using swa for the lights, when its 2-3m up?... its unlikely to get damaged so assuming you got rcd/rcbo's how about a different cable like some hi-tuff? you'll find it easier to handle and manoeuvre into the position you want it in and terminate into the lights.

I suppose you could chip all small hole out of the wall directly under the fitting and then continue behind the fitting to the entry hole?

Or.. Fashion a treated piece of wood into a circle, slightly larger than the light, then make a small hole/channel to allow the cable to pass through and behind?
Rough old job HHD imo

on a job once, i zig-zagged the flex down the mortar , chased in and filled. client was delighted that no cable showed.

And what would you do with the armour, cut it off and wrap a bit of tape round it?

What sort of installation method would you recommend for installing up/down lights on a house when the cable entry is from the side?

The lights only have rear entry available so I assume I would have to mount them on a low profile Junction Box.

The cable I'm using is 1.5mm SWA 3 core which is clipped directly to the Brick surface. It's quite high up about 2-3m.

Id recommend not trying to wire them in a manner they aren’t intended for. If rear entry is the only available option then flush wiring or wiring on the other side of the wall is required.

I also would select a more appropriate cable than SWA for this sort of work.

If you really have no option but to clip surface on the brickwork look at NYY-J cable, at least with solid cores you can get any bends looking tidy, and probably take a joint out to get the cables in the back

Reply to Recommended Installation for Downlights when Cable is side entry in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net