Discuss Recommended way to route DC to outdoor cameras? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jason2000

Hi all,

I'm having a think about how to neatly route 12v DC inside two rooms to two outdoor cameras.

Camera one is mounted up high, approximately level with the ground of the first floor so it's just a case of drilling a hole straight through from the outside to the inside. I have two ideas for this:

a) connect a small DC socket/plug 1m extension lead to the camera with the other end free on the inside. I then just connect the 12v transformer socket end to this. It should work, but looks flimsy and unprofessional.

b) as a) but connect the inside end of the extension lead to a wall mounted DC plug; I then just connect the socket of the DC transformer to this, looking far more professional. But so far, I haven't been able to find any panels which have a mounted DC socket. I thought there would be at least a panel with both a mains socket and a DC socket for a DC transformer to connect to.

Camera two is mounted on the ground floor outside wall such that it's roughly midway on the inside ground floor wall. I'm thinking about drilling one hole straight through the first wall, then drilling another second hole into the second wall near the floor level near the power sockets. I then use a DC 3m extension lead to connect the camera on the outside to the inside like a)/b) above for the first camera.

Thanks for any feedback and advice on my ideas and any suggestions in advance.

Regards,

Jason

Reply to Recommended way to route DC to outdoor cameras? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net