Discuss recording of earth continuity results for appliances with detachable leads. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When testing appliances with a detachable IEC power lead, what's the recommendation for recoding the earth continuity value, do you record the higher value including the lead resistance, or exclude the earth resistance of the lead from the actual appliance.
This assuming that the lead is tested and recorded as a separate item.

Came to light when I tested a few Projectors with longer power leads, the power lead was 0.13 ohms, the projector and lead came to o.15 ohms. So do I record 0.02 or 0.15 against the projector in my records. ???

When testing appliances with a detachable IEC power lead, what's the recommendation for recoding the earth continuity value, do you record the higher value including the lead resistance, or exclude the earth resistance of the lead from the actual appliance.
This assuming that the lead is tested and recorded as a separate item.

Came to light when I tested a few Projectors with longer power leads, the power lead was 0.13 ohms, the projector and lead came to o.15 ohms. So do I record 0.02 or 0.15 against the projector in my records. ???
Should be testing the lead and the appliance as separate items as per ISITEE CofP

The resistance of the earth should be (0.1+R) ohm where R is the resistance of the cpc in the supply cord, and 0.1 ohm is the appliance without the cord. This is from the Code of Practice as mentioned by Pete.
We tend to record them as separate items as detachable leads can easily get swapped about.

I have recorded and labelled them as two separate items, Ive recorded the lead resistance as 0.13 ohms, but what I was wondering is do I record 0.15 ohms against the actual appliance or do I subtract the resistance of the power cord which was used to test the appliance from the value I record for the projector. ie do I record 0.02 ohms or the combined resistance of the appliance and the cord it was tested with. ?

If you have listed them as separate then 0.13 for the lead and 0.02 for the appliance.

Reply to recording of earth continuity results for appliances with detachable leads. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net