Discuss Rectifying unsatisfactory findings on a PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
What do you do when you come across small faults or non-compliances during a PIR? Some things are so easy to remedy it's a bit of a no-brainer to just fix it on the spot. But then how do you get across to the customer that, by having an inspection done, you have made the insallation safer? Because if you don't say anything they won't realise the full benefit of employing your services. And because you have remedied the problem, there is nothing to record on the cert!

What do you do when you come across small faults or non-compliances during a PIR? Some things are so easy to remedy it's a bit of a no-brainer to just fix it on the spot. But then how do you get across to the customer that, by having an inspection done, you have made the insallation safer? Because if you don't say anything they won't realise the full benefit of employing your services. And because you have remedied the problem, there is nothing to record on the cert!

Depending on what you've agreed prior to the inspection, you can still list a rectified defect like this:

1 20mm hole to fused connection unit in kitchen (rectified)

2 Poorly fixed twin socket adjacent rear door (rectified)

In the defect code section, just enter N/A against rectified defects.

This allows future inspectors to see a pattern of how the installation is used/abused and is especially useful in determining the future inspection intervals.

An inspection is an inspection. Unless you've agreed with a customer I wouldn't recommend fixing issues as you go along.

However, if you find a code 1, and its easily rectified without adding costs to whats agreed then you should do it (IMHO). The last time I did this, I listed it on the faults but with the comment "rectified immediately".

if i found a code 1 i would be obliged to , at least, make it safe if i could not rectify it properly at the time, even if it meant removing a dangerous accessory and blocking the connections with a blank plate attached.

There are a number of ways you can bring to the attention of the client the small rectifications you have conducted.
You could just inform them verbally.
You could make a note on the PIR either in the extent and limitations, or under observations and recommendations.
You could detail these on the invoice.
You could include them on supplementary pages, either as part of the report, or as part of a covering letter.
You could place an asterix perhaps next to items on the schedule of inspections to indicate that items had been rectified.

Reply to Rectifying unsatisfactory findings on a PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net