Discuss Red-Yellow-Blue Color in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cookie

-
Reaction score
What type of wire colors do you guys see in UK air conditioning units and appliances? I'm seeing a rise of Red-Yellow-Blue phase sequencing internal to modern equipment.

Attachments

• Red-Yellow-Blue Color red yellow blue - EletriciansForums.net
    red yellow blue.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 45
The international electrotechnical commission standardised on Blue for neutral. The UK decided on Brown, black, gray for phases. So red yellow blue should not be used as phase colours.

The international electrotechnical commission standardised on Blue for neutral. The UK decided on Brown, black, gray for phases. So red yellow blue should not be used as phase colours.
Yeah but the OP aint in the UK is he ?????

Red - Yellow - Blue is still extremely common phase colours in the UK. We may have gone over to Brown - Black - Grey but nearly everywhere I work is still RYB and still being fitted.

What type of wire colors do you guys see in UK air conditioning units and appliances? I'm seeing a rise of Red-Yellow-Blue phase sequencing internal to modern equipment.

The UK used to use those colours but now we use brown, black, grey for phase colours.

Control panels will generally be black for AC power (identified at each end for phases) light blue for neutral, dark blue for DC control and red for AC control.

Needs to get it sorted to avoid confusion the doesn't he?
Yes I agree but all we can do is ask
[automerge]1575317661[/automerge]
No but he asked what we see in the UK. I dont think Red Yellow Blue is a US standard either.

R-fur no that is not US colors either. Our 480vac 3 phase is brown orange yellow, our 3 phase is 208vac is black white red and blue

Last edited:
No but he asked what we see in the UK. I dont think Red Yellow Blue is a US standard either.

Its not "standard" in the US. However, code does not care about wire color for the most part. As long as neutral is white or grey and the ground is green, green/yellow or bare then the NEC happy.

I say mostly because there are a few exceptions like isolated power systems in hospitals where they want brown and orange, ect.

Red - Yellow - Blue is still extremely common phase colours in the UK. We may have gone over to Brown - Black - Grey but nearly everywhere I work is still RYB and still being fitted.

Good to hear its still being fitted! :)

A lot of equipment internal wiring is often just all black.

Black- that is interesting. I know in substation relay control wiring its often all grey with just number tags.

The UK used to use those colours but now we use brown, black, grey for phase colours.

Control panels will generally be black for AC power (identified at each end for phases) light blue for neutral, dark blue for DC control and red for AC control.

Bad idea if you ask me. Switzerland actually had it closer with Black, White, Red for phase and blue to neutral. I think way back when I think it was yellow with a red twirl. But all this is second hand information and research.

Pete999 the flag is the US but cookie I’m pretty sure is in the UK

The AC unit in question is a US unit. And if it helps my schuko is 60Hz ;) Go 60Hz! :p

Attachments

• Red-Yellow-Blue Color HZ60 - EletriciansForums.net
    HZ60.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 26
Another point to note is USA domestic AC, Boilers etc. are much more industrial and use a lot more standard parts making repairs and fault finding much easier than stuff in the UK. UK stuff often uses small non-interchangeable, manufacturer and model specific parts. This is a pain as it means a lot of waiting for parts to be special ordered in, as wholesalers can't possibly stock everything. It also means there isn't much point a repair engineer stocking much on the van.

Yes I agree but all we can do is ask
[automerge]1575317661[/automerge]

R-fur no that is not US colors either. Our 480vac 3 phase is brown orange yellow, our 3 phase is 208vac is black white red and blue

Yes, but remember its not mandated by code. Only that systems of different voltages in the same building be distinguishable from one another.

Yep, especially in the Maritime environment / Marine Engineering world. The majority of the 3P kit I’ve worked on over the last 20 years has all been RYB. Ships ain’t getting rewired just because the phase colours changed. Those colours will still be around for a few years to come on older vessels.

WOW !!! that looks pretty poor regardless of the coloUrs of the wiring or location of the panel. If that's a UK manufactured panel would you mind posting a name plate as they will be one I will defiantly be putting on the avoid list.

Its not "standard" in the US. However, code does not care about wire color for the most part. As long as neutral is white or grey and the ground is green, green/yellow or bare then the NEC happy.

I say mostly because there are a few exceptions like isolated power systems in hospitals where they want brown and orange, ect.

Good to hear its still being fitted! :)

Black- that is interesting. I know in substation relay control wiring its often all grey with just number tags.

Bad idea if you ask me. Switzerland actually had it closer with Black, White, Red for phase and blue to neutral. I think way back when I think it was yellow with a red twirl. But all this is second hand information and research.

The AC unit in question is a US unit. And if it helps my schuko is 60Hz ;) Go 60Hz! :p
The US does care about colors. Up to # 8 you have to use brown, orange, yellow on 480vac 3 phase and any wire bigger than # 8 you are allowed to phase tape them. Let me ask you something, can you install 120vac and 277 vac in the same raceway exceptions included

In that regard yes- but what stops me from having Yellow-Purple-Pink-Gray on 120/208Y? Nothing that I know of.

277/480 and 120/208 can share the same conduit if the 120/208 conductors have insulation rated for at least 480 volts. Considering THHN/THWN is typically 600 volts rated you are ok.

Exceptions off the top of my head are life safety circuits- as they can not mix with normal power circuits- but that applies to all voltages. Same for service conductors and branch conductors but that still holds true for all voltages.

In that regard yes- but what stops me from having Yellow-Purple-Pink-Gray on 120/208Y? Nothing that I know of.

277/480 and 120/208 can share the same conduit if the 120/208 conductors have insulation rated for at least 480 volts. Considering THHN/THWN is typically 600 volts rated you are ok.

Exceptions off the top of my head are life safety circuits- as they can not mix with normal power circuits- but that applies to all voltages. Same for service conductors and branch conductors but that still holds true for all voltages.
The only way you can mix 120vac and 277vac in the same raceway is to use white for the 120vac neutral and gray with a tracer on it and the tracer can be any color except green for the 277vac neutral. Over time the gray will start losing its color and the you can’t tell which neutral is for your 120vac or 277vac. It’s not a good idea to mix voltages in the same raceway and if you do they all have to be the same insulation
[automerge]1575377342[/automerge]

You also cannot use gray for a neutral for 120vac

Last edited:

Reply to Red-Yellow-Blue Color in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock