Discuss Redring shower turns on when hand blender turned on! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Best

Hi all! I am from the plumbing forum, but thought I would ask if anyone has seen this before? I had a quick look at a Redring 9.5 expressions shower that had totally stopped, yesterday. Then the owner said it starts & pulses when his wife uses a hand blender in the kitchen! Couldn't believe it when he asked her to switch blender on & off in kitchen & the shower did keep turning on. Apparently a Mira shower in en suite which is still working, does same. The showers seem to have separate mcbs but I am not touching anything as not a spark. Will have a electrician take a look obviously, as I don't want blame.

To early in the morning to think why this would happen...

I would advise switching them off at the MCB until a spark gets to look at it.
Keep switching MCBs to identify if the units are all on the same circuit, or on more than one circuit.

Do they have a main RCD, or a couple (as in spilt board).
Actually a photo of the board would be useful

So to confirm these showers used to work, no wiring was modified, then they stopped working and this blender thing was spotted.
Does it have to be this hand blender, does it have to be that one socket. What happens if you plug something else in to the socket, like a lamp.

This is going to bug me all day, have a few ideas what would cause one not to work, but both!!!! not a friking clue.

Thanks Inteificio for relying. I am not sure what way consumer unit done. It is an MEM unit, with cartridge fuses & someone has changed 2 of them to a 6 amp & a 40 amp mcbs. The 40 amp says shower above it, which I assume is for Redring shower. There is a RCD beside the first few. There is a separate small unit outside the main consumer, which has a 50 amp mcb & maybe a RCD, I guess for other Mira shower. Guy had a new room with shower room done 3 years ago Sorry, I am only going by memory, & not a spark. I think blender is only thing doing this, but owner said that if light switch on wall for Ensuite flicked on, there can be a tiny pulse in Mira shower. Wish I could send a photo ( i have an ipad ) when I go back to it, but not sure how to! I am not too good with computers. Already advised its a spark job, as I know this needs sorted properly.

Only thing that I can think of without a vast amount more information is that somehow there has been a polarity reversal AND a circuit mix-up, such that by making the neutral 'live' out of the kitchen is then energising the live, in series, to the showers. But that's some seriously messed up problem!! Get your sparks to come on here and post about what they find.

Thanks to everyone so far that has replied. I thought this was going to interest & maybe puzzle you electrical guys! I should have added, that the Mira shower has had pull cord switch changed twice as burned out. I will ask a spark i know, to take a look at it. I don't want to touch anything myself, as I am a heating engineer & this obviously needs an expert check all the wiring. A electrician told me today that neutral wires would need checked, but he also wondered had someone reversed neutral to live somewhere? I will definitely keep you all informed when I get more news. I would not have believed this, only I saw it myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
its one of those blenders made for men,you tell the wife to get tea on,while your having a shower,bingo showers ready for you and when you get out ya tea's done...

tho seriously thats the strangest fault i've ever heard of.

Reply to Redring shower turns on when hand blender turned on! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock