Discuss Reduced r2 due to cladding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Industrial refit and we’ve screwed a bunch of metal clad 13’s onto walls which are corrugated metal sheet using self tappers. Just come to do dead tests and realised that r2 is about half the value of r1 and rn - the sheet is acting a conductor. Sup Bond the sheet or not? The same walls also have 32/3 socket outlets but they’re class 2 boxes, also the board is on the same walling. Structural is bonded back at the MET. So the low down is everything has an Earth path, just in an odd way!

Only other way is to chuck all the CPCs into Wagos to isolate them from parallel paths just to check your continuity.

If you IR the sheet it would come back as needing bonding so I would just do it anyway.

Strictly speaking you don't have a reduced r2. As above for initial verification you isolate the cpcs from the parallel paths to verify its integrity that is r2.

Hi bud,are these outlets on the inside or outside?
Can't imagine the sheet having to be treated different to the accessible metal clad unit,but prepared for discussion ?

....anywho...i've got me own problems...got to make an adapter to fill a 30" rubber mooring buoy with water,instead of air ?

Hi bud,are these outlets on the inside or outside?
Can't imagine the sheet having to be treated different to the accessible metal clad unit,but prepared for discussion ?

....anywho...i've got me own problems...got to make an adapter to fill a 30" rubber mooring buoy with water,instead of air ?
adaptors.take your pick:
Reduced r2 due to cladding 1626427197573 - EletriciansForums.net

Strictly speaking you don't have a reduced r2. As above for initial verification you isolate the cpcs from the parallel paths to verify its integrity that is r2.
This is a true thing….. except it’s virtually impossible to isolate for testing as all the sockets are metal fixed. I’m happy I’ve continuity as I can see it all.

I’ve ended up just sticking a 16mm bond from the distro to the cladding, as much for show as anything else.

I was going to suggest that if the CPCs go only tho the actual plate/switch you could open and check that way, as poor/missing terminal use is more likely than an open CPC half-way a long a cable.

But @westward10 beat me to it by several hours!

If the CPC is an insulated conductor e.g. conduit cable, then I would always test it before putting the fronts on, propping them clear of the boxes or any other metal if needed so that only the copper conductor and its connections are under test.

Much less practical is any kind of test involving a CPC via conduit / SWA / MICC which connects via the back box and hence is inseparable from the metal building structure after first fix. The chances of a secure MI gland failing to make effective contact are near zero, likewise well-erected conduit, so the likelihood of the test failing to spot a disconnect due to the parallel structure is small. In any case if the containment continuity is critical, the joints should be tested with the Ducter during erection.

This is a true thing….. except it’s virtually impossible to isolate for testing as all the sockets are metal fixed. I’m happy I’ve continuity as I can see it all.
Agree especially if your doing an Eicr on a factory using Swa, trunking, etc R2 would be potentially lower than the R1 + R2 measured.
Thats only if you are recording that measurement by the way.

Reply to Reduced r2 due to cladding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock