Discuss Redundant Spark after NICEIC Approved Contractor advice! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

redundantspark

Hello.
I'm just after some advise about gaining NICEIC Approved Contractor status.
I was made redundant last year after 12+ years with a firm and after nearly a year of agency and sub-contract work, and quite a few domestic jobs, i recently got my first commercial job. A mate at the firm i was made redundant from has contacted me to offer me a possibility of long term work doing maintenance upgrade schemes and minor works installations on commercial and light industrial sites. The stumbleing block is that i am required to be NICEIC Approved Contractor accredited to get on their preferred contractors list.
For the job i did, i issued a green sheet test certificate, and a spark i know has certificated the domestic jobs i have done.
I am very unsure of the rules with Part P, building regs and what defines a notifable job, hence what and how can i certify on domestic work that the NICEIC could asses, and what, if any, certificates i can issue??
The guy at the NICEIC didn't seem to helpful and i didn't want to sound stupid asking him how and what jobs i could certificate.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Part P concerns domestic situations and won't apply to commercial and industrial work.
A NICEIC representative should be able to tell you what they need to assess for you to gain approved contractor status. If they don't seem helpful at this stage, just imagine what it's going to be like later on.

Last edited:
If you tell 'em you'll pay their £500 fee to become scammer approved they'll bite ya hand off and become very helpful until the invoice has cleared.

Hello.
I'm just after some advise about gaining NICEIC Approved Contractor status.
I was made redundant last year after 12+ years with a firm and after nearly a year of agency and sub-contract work, and quite a few domestic jobs, i recently got my first commercial job. A mate at the firm i was made redundant from has contacted me to offer me a possibility of long term work doing maintenance upgrade schemes and minor works installations on commercial and light industrial sites. The stumbleing block is that i am required to be NICEIC Approved Contractor accredited to get on their preferred contractors list.
For the job i did, i issued a green sheet test certificate, and a spark i know has certificated the domestic jobs i have done.
I am very unsure of the rules with Part P, building regs and what defines a notifable job, hence what and how can i certify on domestic work that the NICEIC could asses, and what, if any, certificates i can issue??
The guy at the NICEIC didn't seem to helpful and i didn't want to sound stupid asking him how and what jobs i could certificate.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

I would avoid going anywhere near anybody from a company that I used to work for unless I left there of my own choice or to go to another job of my own doing......if I got made redundant or got made to walk the plank (wrap it/leave the job/quit/walk away)by getting hassle I would avoid going near again, as it could lead to advantage being taken or even worse being made a mockery of...

keep doing odds and ends on agency just now and start doing some things self employed, then when you go fully self employed think about a scheme such as NICEIC, otherwise it's £500 you could do with just now in hand rather than spending on a 1 year membership which will need renewing again soon....

Hi Redundant Spark, I was looking at starting on my own as a DI and the NICEIC have some good downloadable PDFs giving registration advice, will try to sort you out a link. do you HAVE to be an AC?

http://www.niceic.com/join-us/approved-contractor
And don't forget Part P only applies to Dwellings so if you don't do any work under Part P then you do not HAVE to be a part of a competent persons scheme. So long as you are insured (PL and PI) and comply with BS767. Nowhere in the regs or EAWR does it say pay NICEIC £500 per year
BUT
A lot of commercial clients and insurance companies specify NICEIC. It will be easier for you to get work when part of a competent person scheme and for my money I'd go NICEIC. Simply for the fact their a fairly recognised brand.

You need around 5 reasonable jobs to show, if your upgrading from DI its only 3, including some eicrs, preferably a mix of comm, Dom
you need to be trading for at least 6 months now I think it used to ve 2years, i may be wrong
It's a big outlay initially to get AC status (cost me around £2k then about the same as a part p scheme every year after that £500)
It also takes time, from the moment I applied to the moment I was enrolled was around 6 months
and they are absolutely ---- about paperwork!
They send me an application pack when I phoned them and it explains most things

once you do get in however, it does bring in a lot more work and doors do open, you will be surprised!
and I easily made my money back in the first year then some

Good luck

Reading what welchyboy has said about cost etc and as you said you previously did domestic why no join NICEIC as a DI you are NICEIC approved as far as you legally need to be under part p and they only require 2 jobs and seems a lot easier registration process with less paperwork

or see if they will accept ECA approved . lass hassle with ECA than NICEIC and cheaper, so i believe.

Reply to Redundant Spark after NICEIC Approved Contractor advice! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net