Discuss Refused to install a light fitting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickblake

On a new build property 2nd fixing ,customer has bought everything cable switches light fittings etc with my advise of cable and sockets ,non of this cheap crap cable ill tell you , came to fit a light fitting ceiling light 80 watt halogen with glass diffuser , so why did i refuse to install it well three wires with heat sleeve on it ,into a terminal block terminal block was to big to fit onto the ceiling with the base so the only way to do it was to drill a hole through , i dont think so !!, so looking at the manufacturers instructions all in pictures push cable through ceiling ,connect cable and wrap with insulation tape !!! again i dont think so , you had to run the cables round the fitting then through the ceiling which left you about an inch ,im not even sure these cables could be classed as double insulated ,they are heat resistant with a sleeve covering part of the cable ,spoke to an irate woman at the suppliers in my eyes and the eyes of the ECA they are not good , even with other fittings the terminal block is a disgrace 3 amp 4 terminal so you can get the loops in , i think not only big enough for 1 1.5 and the quility terminals break when you tighten them up ,think its about time the lighting manufacturers had a shake up ,got some pics some where will post them later

Ahh if you'd taken the feed to the sw.....ahh forget I said anything!!!!

well it was JB'd in the loft , but you had less than 10mm space between the fitting and the ceiling to play with looked at even crimping , top quark i normally rip out the terminal block and use wagos the back plate of this fitting is steel with a 80 watt halogen light now thats going to get hot so im sure the wagos would melt , i just cant belive they have a picture on it for wrapping the terminal block with tape

well it was JB'd in the loft , but you had less than 10mm space between the fitting and the ceiling to play with looked at even crimping , top quark i normally rip out the terminal block and use wagos the back plate of this fitting is steel with a 80 watt halogen light now thats going to get hot so im sure the wagos would melt , i just cant belive they have a picture on it for wrapping the terminal block with tape

Wot?....you mean there's annuver way?:rolleyes:

I usually cut a hole with a holesaw above the fitting big enough to get an ashelely 501 through then come out with buteul to the fitting.

Sorry miss spelt butyl, and have reread the op I use the above method for bathroom lights or ones that have no ventilation' not horrible designer lights like the one nick is describing:p

I suppose you could use the JB and Butyl with a bit of fibreglass sleeving, then in the fitting use ceramic single terminal blocks positioned on there sides, that must be less than 10mm in depth.

I can see your point.these light manufacturers take some beating for stupidity

The only way I can see installation can be improved is with a circular dry lining box to terminate them into

20mm hole in the base, one 3.5 taped out hole or nut and bolt, screw 3 or 2 terminal ceramic block inside light fitting, supply from JB in ceiling via FP. Those instructions are great;)

Definitely needs a round plasterboard box behind it and a new set of block connectors if nothing else. With the fitting being F rated it should be fine to mount to a plastic dry lining box but i'd prefer to just chuck it in the bin and buy a better one.

its a good idea penny , problem is it has a 80 watt halogen lamp be difficult to secure the cables inside the fitting also did think about ceramic single connectors too girl on the phone said you shouldnt install anything on the back due to the heat ,think it should have an extract behind it if it gets that hot lol ,we did discuss the use of a circular dry lining box , but realy why should we have to go to that expense time included if the back of the fitting was deeper and fitted with a ceramic terminal block there wouldnt have been an issue ,just sent the pics to the ESC and asked for their opinion ,bet they love me there lol

,just sent the pics to the ESC and asked for their opinion,bet they love me there

It seems you are going to wipe the floor with this manufacturer
If the Chinese hear of it and take offence, they may ban you from all their takeaways in Llangefni :)

Reply to Refused to install a light fitting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net