Discuss Reg Number Requ in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

comlongon

Hi,

Is it true that to bond both the water and gas with the same cable that it cant be cut ? If so whats the regs number to back it up

Hi,

Is it true that to bond both the water and gas with the same cable that it cant be cut ? If so whats the regs number to back it up

Comloon, it is a true statement that you cannot break the cable if bonding both water and gas using same cable.. Cannot back it up with reg number, as i cannot locate it but will do shortly. The point of not breaking the cable is to prevent accidental disconnection (makes i too vulnerable otherwise)..:)

Have to say that there is no mention at all, that i can find, in the regs or the OSG about one conductor being unbroken for two service pipes.

Strange considering the 16th clearly had it.

Where a wiring system is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any forseeable operation carried out on the other sevices will not cause damage to the electrical services or the converse.
got this info from the NICEIC snags & solutions earthing and bonding book (17th edition ) snag 43 page, I got the book freebie when we was going from a DI to AC with the niceic

Cheers patrick

hi i looked through could not find a thing looked at 528.3.3
after patricks post read it again not as cut and dry as i would like it to be.
however yes i would go with that
i am almost sure that was a 17th edition exam question

Last edited:
hi i looked through could not find a thing looked at 538.3.3
after patricks post read it again not as cut and dry as i would like it to be.
however yes i would go with that
i am almost sure that was a 17th edition exam question

Its 528.3.3

Where a wiring system is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any forseeable operation carried out on the other sevices will not cause damage to the electrical services or the converse.
got this info from the NICEIC snags & solutions earthing and bonding book (17th edition ) snag 43 page, I got the book freebie when we was going from a DI to AC with the niceic

Cheers patrick

Fair enough, but im still not convinced!

I do see how it could be in reference to bonding as well, but surely this would have been put in the OSG as its still an important part of an installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure that refers to main bonds tho?

I tend to agree with Jason here. My reading of 528.3.3 is that the installation of one service cannot hinder the access to, or operation of, another. For example positioning a consumer unit in front of the gas meter so that the gas man has to crowbar it aside, causing "damage", to get to his precious meter! The operative word is "damage", no mention of "dangerous" or bonding for that matter.
Any thoughts?

I think the info we are all looking for will be listed in this BS7430:1998 Code of Practice for Earthing, as any body got this as a file that they can send me,

Reply to Reg Number Requ in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock