Discuss regs extraction rate for bathroom fan? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smudge

howdy,

can someone please advise on what the extract rate of a bathroom fan should be? is there something in the regs as a guide? I can't seem to find anything (by numbly thumbing through the book hoping it will jump out at me). I spoke with another spark and he assures me it is 15 l/s (54m^3/h), but to me this seems massive. I've not been to the job yet to measure the size of the room if it is done on air changes per hour or something similar.

if there is a reg...can someone quote it for me please??

i have what they call 'regs blindness' and everything has just merged into one...roll on friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of drawings here im pricing for now, its not a bathroom though, just a W.C and the plans state 6 litres per second.

You could try phoning building control and asking them.

thanks. An extract of the scottish building regs...

Recommended ventilation of a dwelling
Ventilation recommendations Trickle ventilation [1]
ApartmentA ventilator with an opening area of at least 1/30th of the floor area it serves. 12,000 mm2
Kitcheneither:
a. mechanical extraction capable of at least 30 l/sec (intermittent) above a hob [3]; or
b. mechanical extraction capable of at least 60 l/sec (intermittent)
if elsewhere [3]; or
c. a passive stack ventilation system [4].
10,000 mm2
Utility room either:
a. mechanical extraction capable of at least 30 l/sec (intermittent) [3]; or
b. a passive stack ventilation system [4].
10,000 mm2
Bathroom or shower room (with or without a WC)either:
a. mechanical extraction capable of at least 15 l/sec (intermittent);
or
b. a passive stack ventilation system [4].
10,000 mm2
Toilet either:
a. a ventilator with an opening area of at least 1/30th of the floor area it serves; or
b. mechanical extraction capable of at least 3 air changes per hour.
10,000 mm2

I'm not sure what trickle ventilation means?

I don't fully understand these regs to be honest, with regards to room size. I thought that the bigger the area, the bigger the fan etc. For example, i've been in some bathrooms containing a shower that don't have a enough room to swing a cat, and others that you could play a game of 5 a side in. I thought it would be done more on air changes per hour rather than just the speed of a fan as the effectiveness of the fan will depend on room size.

Part F of the E&W regs for intermittent ventilation is as follows, does not cover the trickle ventilation (air bricks, or gaps above/below doors to allow the air flow from fans to have an effect, so not a sealed room).
Fan is designed to remove the products of say a shower and showers are similar, size of room then is immaterial.

Section 5: New dwellings

Approved Document F Ventilation

Introduction to provisions
5.1 This Approved Document shows three main ways of complying with the ventilation requirements of the Building Regulations:

a. providing the ventilation rates set out in paragraphs 5.4 to 5.7; or

b. following the system guidance set out: for dwellings without basements in paragraphs 5.8 to 5.10. This guidance covers all levels of design air permeability. Alternative guidance is also provided for dwellings designed to an air permeability leakier than (>) 5 m[SUP]3[/SUP]1(h.m[SUP]2[/SUP]) at 50 Pa where the developer from experience will not construct significantly more airtight dwellings (not better than 3 m[SUP]3[/SUP]1(h.m[SUP]2[/SUP]) at 50 Pa); or for dwellings with basements in paragraphs 5.11 to 5.13; or

c. using other ventilation systems provided it can be demonstrated to the Building Control Body that they satisfy the Requirement, e.g. by showing that they meet the moisture and air quality criteria set out in Appendix A.

5.2 There should be reasonable access for maintenance. This should include access for the purpose of changing filters, replacing defective components and cleaning ductwork.

Table 5.1 Note that extract fans lower the pressure in a building, which can cause the spillage of combustion products from open-flued appliances (i.e. the combustion gases may fill the room instead of going up the flue or chimney). This can occur even if the appliance and the fan are in different rooms. Ceiling sweep fans produce air currents and hence focal _epressurization, which can also cause the spillage of flue gases from open-flued gas appliances or from solid fuel open fires. In buildings where it is intended to install open-flued combustion appliances and extract fans, the combustion appliance should be able to operate safely whether or not the fans are running. A way of showing compliance in these circumstances would be to follow the guidance given in Approved Document J on both the installation of the appliances and tests to show that combustion appliances operate safely whether or not fans are running.

Table 5.1 a
Extract ventilation rates
Room
Intermittent extract
Continuous extract

Minimum rate
Minimum high rate
Minimum low rate
Kitchen
30 I/s (108m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr) adjacent to hob; or
60 I/s (216m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr) elsewhere
13 I/s (46.8m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr)
Total extract rate should be at least the whole dwelling ventilation rate given in Table 5.1 b

Utility room
30 I/s (108m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr)
8 I/s(28.8m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr)
Bathroom
15 I/s (54m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr)
8 I/s (28.8m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr)
Sanitary accommodation
6 I/s (21.6m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr)
6 I/s (21.6m[SUP]3[/SUP]/hr)

Table 5.1 b
Whole dwelling ventilation rates

Number of bedrooms in dwelling
Whole dwelling ventilation
rate [SUP]b [/SUP](I/s)

Notes:
a. In addition, the minimum ventilation rate should be not less than 0.3 Its per m[SUP]2 [/SUP]of internal floor area. (This includes all floors, e.g. for a two-storey building add the ground and first floor areas.)
b. This is based on two occupants in the main bedroom and a single occupant in all other bedrooms. This should be used as the default value. If a greater level of occupancy is expected add 4 Vs per occupant.

Reply to regs extraction rate for bathroom fan? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net