Discuss Regs for a children's home and hight of fittings ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
We have a client who is looking to convert a existing property into a children's home and has gained i think it is c2 planning , I believe it has been used as a bit of a communal living space in the past so does have some emergency lighting and a bit of a fire alarm system already so I am told ?

My client wants a full test and report on the place before he starts any mod's , now although both myself and my other director hold all the certs necessary and are both qualifying managers with the ECA for another company and are also both registered as the competent persons with a relevant scam provider we generally get another independent contractor to come in after our lads have tested and go through it again , just for total piece of mind and transparency !

The thing is , ( And Hi Martin if you are reading this ! ) he has told our client it was not worth testing as it would need a total rewire anyway , to be in line with part M ( Think I got it right for the disabled one ? ) and to go and check with the council to see what is actually required .

My client has said just test it anyway and we will see ! Now I would rather not send somebody on a job that is not worth doing in the first place all be we will get paid for it either way , but thats not the point !

What do others think to the need for a total rewire ?

I will unfortunately be away from the Internet for a few days as from the morning as going back down to Bucks .

Thanks Dave

Thanks Farm , but thats just it .
Will it be a pointless exercise if the place needs a total rewire to comply with part M even if all else is fine , the trouble is our independent chap says it will , but the client says it won't !
But he will not get conformation from the council and just says test it to the regs required for a c2 property ??????
I know we will end up having to chase the council our selfs for some clarification in the end , but i was hoping someone on here might know what regs we need to look at ?

To clarify, when you say childrens home (as opposed to childcare (day only), residential?). May need a lift to be installed if it's the former, depending on residential/bedroom split arrangements.

Irrespective of the above, I think you'll find LABC will want disabled wheelchair access/fire exit as standard for this change of use Dave, at least for the downstairs floor. That'll mean mainly doors widening (may affect location of switch positions) and security fitted. The couple I've seen around here have a double door badge lock type entry system.

Probably worth doing a pre Cu type check. Continuity of RFC's, ring cont, presence of lighting CPC, IR, borrowed neutrals etc.

As far as BS7671 is concerned, there is no height requirement for switches and socket-outlets.
As far as Building Regulations are concerned, Part M is not applicable.
However, there may be particular requirements required by any Licencing body/authority.
Ask your client to contact their Licencing body/authority to obtain their particular requirements.

Im with Spinny consult the LABC and the liscencing part ask them if there are any special requirements probably find their reply will be totaly bamboozelment that someone has acctualy consulted them AND they will require "safety plug covers" to be fitted see www.fatalyflaued.org.uk about these you could show them site during a meeting :D:D
se

As the others have said, speak to the LA.

LA's can be a law unto themselves, some demand over and above, others less, sometimes it is down to the inspectors personal pet like/dislike, I have found in the past that it is far better to just agree with them and still ask the question/s even if you know the answer (it is an ego thing with some of them!), and it makes things far smoother in the long run.
Most important, never argue with them (even if you are in the right), as it will cost you or your client in the end.

As Guitarist said, this avoids awkward (read expensive!) situations later.

Thanks for all of your replies , it now transpires that my client is letting the property out to a third party who will be converting it into a children's home .
All my client wants is a eicr , to prove it is in a safe condition on handover .
I think we will even be asked to decommission the fire and em light system to save on the cost of a test on the both of them !

Once again , thanks for the input .:smile5:

The client is askin for an eicr! Do one and get paid

Thats how it works isn't it :winkiss:

Well Sedgy , that is quite a business plan you have there .
As it is now a wee bit clearer as to why my client wanted the test carried out and we will not be just waisting his money , i think i may follow your advice . Cheers for that one !!! :yesnod:

Well Sedgy , that is quite a business plan you have there .
As it is now a wee bit clearer as to why my client wanted the test carried out and we will not be just waisting his money , i think i may follow your advice . Cheers for that one !!! :yesnod:

Umm
well if you don't someone else will!
You could refund the cost of the eicr if you carry out remedials

Reply to Regs for a children's home and hight of fittings ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock