Discuss Regs question re socket access from bathroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Next to bathroom I have an airing cupboard. I am planning to add a switched socket in there. I then want to run some conduit back in to bathroom which will have an DC cable fed for Amazon Alexa speaker.

The cable run and Alexa will be on a windowsill, outside zone 2.

Is there any regs position on this, should I make it an RCD switched socket?

fit socket and PSU in cupboard and just run the ELV DC into bathroom.

Depends how far outside zone 1 are you proposing putting the socket.

How big is the bathroom in meters?
don't matter how big. he's planning to fit socket in a cupboard outside the bathroom.

OK, great, thanks for so many responses!! I posted at 5am (couldn't sleep) and 4 different people replied, what a forum!!!

OK, no RCD switch socket required, great - saves me some money as they are not cheap.

I have RCD protection on the ring main via consumer unit, I meant additional RCD on the switched socket just to trip out this socket if water ingress down cable back to PSU for example.

I have RCD protection on the ring main via consumer unit, I meant additional RCD on the switched socket just to trip out this socket if water ingress down cable back to PSU for example.
As john said ^^^
Though if you are worried about water ingress then you have either bigger problems or the area you intend to install the socket is not suitable. If you are thinking about water (from steam for example)tracking back along the cable from the speaker then just ensure that it cannot track back into the cupboard by using a suitable sealant for the job.

Speaker position outside zone 2, near window at windowsill height. No risk of water splashing or anything like that really, just being belt and braces.

I like the silicon idea or maybe a grommet.

Anyway, no extra RCD required on switch socket which was my goal to learn.

Thanks all.

Reply to Regs question re socket access from bathroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net