Discuss Relay for spotlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You do not operate a relay by switching the earth on and off.
Surely the switch should be in the 12v line. Between 86 and 30.

Yes it works.I’m not an auto electrician so switching (neutral) in house electrics is a no no. But look at your vehicle. Surely just about every circuit switches the live. Have a look at your horn, windscreen wipers, heater blower, EVERYTHING is switched live.
Maybe a petrol head can Comment?

courtesy lights switch the negative.

Yes it works.I’m not an auto electrician so switching (neutral) in house electrics is a no no. But look at your vehicle. Surely just about every circuit switches the live. Have a look at your horn, windscreen wipers, heater blower, EVERYTHING is switched live.
Maybe a petrol head can Comment?
Agreed, switching neutral is completely unacceptable in LV eg houses, where dangers around touch voltages exist.

In the automotive world, low side switching is super common especially in modern cars where most items are computer controlled. Generally this is for the following reasons:

1) N channel transistor switching is easier*.
2) fusing arrangements for low side switching are often more practical.

I'm sticking with my original answer of "it's fine, pay attention to the risks in this situation which relate to fusing, not which side is switched."

All the best,

*Long story.... Look up an electronics article on low side vs high side transistor switching if you're interested.

Agreed, switched ground for relays and other automotive items is quite normal and safe.

Some examples of such things being standard are
Door switches for lights (already mentioned)
Horn on most cars
Fan thermostat
Points on cars old enough to have them

Thanks. Every day’s a school day!

Before cars had 314 different buttons on the steering wheel, there was one slip ring and brush behind the wheel that brought the ground wire from the horn to one terminal of the horn press switch.
The other terminal was simply grounded to the steering column.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am aware that the horn works by grounding to earth but I guess with the high draw needed for the spotlights I am still wondering about using the ground to switch. More research on my part needed!

Thanks everyone for your input. I am aware that the horn works by grounding to earth but I guess with the high draw needed for the spotlights I am still wondering about using the ground to switch. More research on my part needed!
There’s minimal current passing through the switch, it’s only operating the relay. That is what the relay is for.
As above, you must have a fuse in the 12v feed to the relay. How big will depend on the load of the spotlights.

Reply to Relay for spotlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock