Discuss reliable wire strippers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
As the title says I'm after a reliable pair of wirestrippers preferably idiotproof!,

I've only ever used sidecutters ,shears or knives etc and never needed a dedicated stripper for smaller cores before.

Looked at the automatic type and been told they're ok until the springs go which aren't available so you have to get a new set,

My new job is doing controls and working around panels so I need to strip 0,2mm to 4.0mm , and involves a lot of overseas travel which means I won't be able to pick up a replacement set easily, so I've been looking at the American style like "Kleins" or "Ideal" types, basically like shears with stripping holes of various sizes along the blades

The yanks swear by them, but I'd prefer to hear opinions from the Uk as in my experience the yanks will give goid reviews on rubbish bits of kit, does anyone have some and how would you rate them?

?

practice mate, .75 cable etc is really easy to strip with snips.

same with smaller just pull sleeving off with snips, easy.

a guy from I.p.a controls who make panels use stanley strippers ill get a pic (buy two pairs if your worried about losing)

this is what the guy from ipa uses

stripping capacity is rated at 0.2-6mm

www.toolstop.co.uk/stanley-fmht0-96230-fatmax-auto-wire-stripping-plier-p64940

£15 each

c82e2718b5905956821fdedc5e837d83.jpg

I've got a CK pair, I've not used them on anything less than 0.75 but they work fine on that. They can cope with 6mm at a real push but it's best to use sidecutters on that stuff.

I'm not worried about losing them as I don't lose tools ... ever!

not keen on automatic types just something simple which is going to work everytime,

I can do it with snips , not a problem but company doesn't like us to use them as they had a problem previously with a system which was wired by someone using snips and he nicked a lot of cores, this cost them thousands to sort as 90% of the jobs go to far flung places in asia so there is a culture of using dedicated tools for stripping conductors

its more about something thats going to be reliable and fairly compact

Also as mentioned in op I have tried the automatic types at work and the guys who build the panels say they are okay but sometimes don't strip 0.2/0.5mm more of a rip than strip if they actually do take the insulation off , and they all agree about the springs breaking being a problem! Or with other types the blades need replacing
Thats the opinions of 20 panel builders
This is why I'm trying to find something simpler that will be durable and reliable, as also with the overseas work it will be a case of only taking essential tools due to weight limits allowed.

Aaaaaarggggh![emoji37]
I appreciate the replies!

But if people read the thread they will see I'm not looking for automatic strippers for several reasons.

I'm after manual wire strippers for small cores which are reliable ie you get them out and they work....

And not the forked type with the adjustable screw I had some years ago and never really used them due to the constant having to adjust them , saying that I did see some of this style which were self adjusting made by geodore

Please just replies regarding the US style strippers or the type I mentioned above or something similar

Yes I've tried these and yes they are good but again they can be prone to breaking as there are springs , blades etc I'm looking for something a bit more basic.

Pete 999
I do have a pair of these non vde already, but I think they're ok as a back up rather than a primary tool I'd use, they will be staying in the toolbag as they do have several features which do come in handy.

Yes I've tried these and yes they are good but again they can be prone to breaking as there are springs , blades etc I'm looking for something a bit more basic.

You may have the wrong kit mate my Knipex pliers aint got any springs or blades, just pliers with a semi pointed nose, cable shears, crimps etc, try googling then I did but can't post a link

The knipex I have are the installation pliers, I probably wouldn't recommend them for the money really as although they do have their uses it seems a mismatched design to me and I tried using it as my main tool for quite some time , instead of using several different tools as its intended for, but always ended up putting it back and getting the proper one out of the bag.

Use your teeth. You won't find anything more basic than that & you have the added bonus of not forgetting to pack them in the toolbox.

Reply to reliable wire strippers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net