Discuss relocation of shower switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bonn1ett

Hi guys,

going to look at job where the customer wants her shower switch which is downstairs relocated upstairs. I don't know if there is RCD protection as i've not seen the job yet, so if no RCD protection in place and i re-wire to new location of switch then an RCD/RCBO will be needed (if cable less than 50mm in wall etc)

But would i need to install RCD protection if i replaced existing downstairs shower switch with a JB and then if poss, picked up the existing cable run upstairs (in airing cupboard?) and installed switch there? I suppose would be classed as altering the circuit therefore RCD protection would need to be in place.

any help most appreciated.

As you have said, at the original switch put in an 50A connector from perm live to switch live and up stairs cut the T&E at the pull cord position for the new switch, hopefully you have enough slack on it so you dont have to extend it.

If you do it that way you have not rewired it and regs wise you dont need to install an rcd BUT most of us would never leave a shower without rcd protection, thats your call and if the customer will pay for it?

As you have said, at the original switch put in an 50A connector from perm live to switch live and up stairs cut the T&E at the pull cord position for the new switch, hopefully you have enough slack on it so you dont have to extend it.

If you do it that way you have not rewired it and regs wise you dont need to install an rcd BUT most of us would never leave a shower without rcd protection, thats your call and if the customer will pay for it?

Totally agree with you, i would always recommend to the customer having RCD protection, its just if they will pay out for it. The minute you start mentioning to the customer what 'extras' they could really do with, there face starts to glaze over with that look of 'oh right..here we go..', know what i mean? Gets frustrating at times when you want to do the right thing and the customer just thinks your out to make an extra buck!!

thanks for your comments

Reply to relocation of shower switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock