Discuss remote control ceiling light/fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markerlis

just purchased a westinghouse havana ceiling light/fan with remote control, when the electrician installed it the remote would not work properly, when you turn the wallswitch on the remote will carry out one command then stop working until you turn the wallswitch off and on again, when you select the dimmer the light continuously goes to dim-off bright. the supplier replaced the whole unit, the electrician installed the second unit but we have exactly the same problem. the electrician is completely baffled, any suggestions would be appreaciated, thanks

sounds like a faulty remote receiver, but did you use the new remote control with the second fitting? also, make sure all the plug-in cables inside the fitting are soundly connected.

Probably just a bad batch. I would go back to the supplier with the second faulty unit and get them to demonstrate the next replacement they give you is working before you leave the shop.

Most of those ceiling remote controlled fan/light fittings are only good for incandescent lamps, use a energy saving lamp(s) in them, all sorts of strange things start happening!! lol!! Check the instruction sheet, i bet it states not suitable for energy saving lamps....

sounds like a faulty remote receiver, but did you use the new remote control with the second fitting? also, make sure all the plug-in cables inside the fitting are soundly connected.

the second unit came with a new remote, but on the remote receiver there is a sticker that reads IMPORTANT you must set ceiling fan manual switch to high speed and the light to on before operating remote control, but the only manual switch on the unit is to change rotation direction, there are no pull cords either, so without the remote it's pretty useless!

Most of those ceiling remote controlled fan/light fittings are only good for incandescent lamps, use a energy saving lamp(s) in them, all sorts of strange things start happening!! lol!! Check the instruction sheet, i bet it states not suitable for energy saving lamps....
good call. never thought of that. then again, i never consider using cfl lamps anyway. need to fit about 100 to compensate for the 15kWshowers that everyone wants installed.

sometimes they have dip switches . just see that they are set the same. think by manual switch, it means the wall switch controlling the supply to the unit.

All of these fittings come with the remote sender and receiver units...

I have seen this on 6 remote control units 5 from one manufacturer (3 different models) and one from another manufacturer. that i fitted at a friends home in Cyprus...
One of them being a 400+ Euro unit!! All of them were not suitable for CFL lamps, only incandescent and halogen lamps!!

He wasn't too pleased about it himself, as he's a bit of a ''friends of the earth'' guy...

This sounds like a classic RC compatibility issue to me - what happens is - the manufacturer has ot make multiple types of control for operating the unit so that they can advertise them all. However they fail to think of the practicality of how each of the remote operate. With a handheld the unit must send a single pulse then go to sleep - so the receiver is told by the handheld "you're supposed to be ON" then however the manual switch is in the off position so when the control system refreshes it does not know what it should be doing so it turns OFF. Then you have the dimmer which is saying "you're ON but at half power" so the receiver, the switch and the dimmer are all in conflict and the system then does very strange things. I have seen this on many systems over the years usually when the manufacturer upgrades a system to include a RC option.

Best of luck with it not much help to offer sadly though!

Go through the instructions slowly, usually you have to set up the transmitter to the receiver by standing on one leg, manually putting the fan to fast, turning it off with the remote, barking like a dog etc!

Or bypass the stupid remote system, usually by removing the receiver and the two remaining plugs should then fit together. Then try getting up and switching it on at the wall!

I've never found one of these remote controlled ceiling fans that works well yet! I did a Fantasia one the other day, took ages to get the thing working properly with the remote control, stupid poxy things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to remote control ceiling light/fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net