Discuss Remote controled lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daiplayer

Any body come accross remote controled ( internet) lighting ?

Was working in area today where i was asked to remove a single lighting point, could not locate control for light , ...

Found two timeclocks for lights, none of which operated the light in q,

After further investigation , discovered these lights are controled externally under internet switching !!!!!! if i were to overide this panel, they would automatically call to ask why ....lol !!!
What was wrong with old school Photcell/timeclocks ?????

the only thing i know thats like that is street lighting, which is sometimes radio controlled via a transmitter at the local substation, not that i have ever had anything to do with it, just read it on t'internet like

i worked at a company who made radio controlled street lighting and they demo'ed a internet program been controlled from a client in china turning on and off the lights along the street, its so councils etc can have either individual or area control via the internet, reducing energy costs where not needed, isolating faulty lights and many other advantages to different clients. The dusk till dawn sensor on top was replaced with a radio device that fits the dusk till dawn base and thats it; converted and ready to be remotely controlled after addressing it.
It going to be a growing market but although in its infancy the possibilies are endless.. imagine you gps tracker on your phone been monitored and your security/ drive lights turn on as you get close, and your gate opens to let you drive in all without lifting a finger.

so thats why the guy from the highways agency was up on a cherry picker round here, and like you said they replaced they dusk till dawn, and hey presto, it's pitch black round here after 12 midnight

If you just imagine 'the internet' as one big ELV control cable, with a switch one end and a relay on the other, then all becomes clear.....

that sounds about right Jase they are talking about turning every second light out in some areas Ill be going round pulling control wires out around me if they start that as street lighting discourages wee scrotes hanging around and theiving gits have cover with no lighting FFS that will be yet another question for insurance companies " Are the street lights in your are turned off for part of the night?" UP go your premiums THE police advise "Park under a street light or in a WELL lit carpark Is Mr Cameron and his cronies going to assist me pay inflated premiums?

yeah tell me bought it, park my van right outside the house, on the street and opposite a lamp post, didnt relaise just how dark it was round here after midnight, till i got dropped off by a taxi at 1am on saturday night, will be putting a 150W flood with PIR on the front of my house if van thefts start increasing round here.............

i worked at a company who made radio controlled street lighting and they demo'ed a internet program been controlled from a client in china turning on and off the lights along the street, its so councils etc can have either individual or area control via the internet, reducing energy costs where not needed, isolating faulty lights and many other advantages to different clients. The dusk till dawn sensor on top was replaced with a radio device that fits the dusk till dawn base and thats it; converted and ready to be remotely controlled after addressing it.
It going to be a growing market but although in its infancy the possibilies are endless.. imagine you gps tracker on your phone been monitored and your security/ drive lights turn on as you get close, and your gate opens to let you drive in all without lifting a finger.

The i phone4s apps for Rako lighting!

Yes more than likely but was 5yrs ago last time i worked at this company which was long before the apts that do everything except wiping your butt.
But in no way am i supprised that apts exist the signs were there many years ago.

Last edited:
Just Like the DALI(digitally addressable lighting interface) building lighting control systems.....walk past an office building at 9pm and see every light on 10 floors turn off all in 2 seconds.....just like when the street lights all get switched off by a server at 11:59pm ......if a street light fails, they will be automatically notified that it is faulty/blown /out....but will they repair it......no they won't repair it.....

I wasnt thinking we fitted a system where the guy could "turn on" his bath to fill and swimmingpool heat ect from his I Phone

Channel4 prog House of the future has some right fantastic stuff if only the old guy would STOP turning everything OFF at night lol tight wad that he seems to be

The problem with a lot of this kit is that it pretends to be control over the internet but it is actually only control over WiFi - you have to be on the same network for it to work. I think Lightwave-RF do one which is truly internet based. I'd go with them.

ER NO- some might be but generally the system has an internet interface which is hard wired to the processors ( each channel on the processor has a unique network address )

Reply to Remote controled lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net