Discuss Remote controlled extensions / socket relay blowing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phil6891

Hi there

Im having to post this here as the general DIY section is locked for posting.

Ive got an issue with relays dying in two different makes of remote controlled adapters and one remote controlled wall socket.
The first was a single socket remote controlled adapter which plugged into a standard dual socket outlet.
From that ran a 4-way extension lead, which had a computer (1000w PSU), LED monitor, and printer connected to it.
After 2 weeks the device would stay constantly on and would make a click noise when you tried to turn it off. Turned it off and tried it in another socket and it didn't work in that either.

Took it back to B&Q and exchanged it for a 4 way remote controlled plug, again the relay in this went after a few weeks. Same dual socket outlet. I bought 2x this time, another is still fully functioning after 3 months of use but in a different socket in the house. Other one has a TV, speakers, PC (500w PSU), and PS3 plugged in.

3rd one I bought was a Siemens dual socket wall outlet replacement, guess what, 5 days later it goes.

Has anyone had any experience with these remote controlled adapters/sockets? What could be causing the relays to go in them? It's a modern 2 bed flat apartment.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Phil, I've moved this to the DIY for you and I've given you posting rights as well.

Hi there

Im having to post this here as the general DIY section is locked for posting.

Ive got an issue with relays dying in two different makes of remote controlled adapters and one remote controlled wall socket.
The first was a single socket remote controlled adapter which plugged into a standard dual socket outlet.
From that ran a 4-way extension lead, which had a computer (1000w PSU), LED monitor, and printer connected to it.
After 2 weeks the device would stay constantly on and would make a click noise when you tried to turn it off. Turned it off and tried it in another socket and it didn't work in that either.

Took it back to B&Q and exchanged it for a 4 way remote controlled plug, again the relay in this went after a few weeks. Same dual socket outlet. I bought 2x this time, another is still fully functioning after 3 months of use but in a different socket in the house. Other one has a TV, speakers, PC (500w PSU), and PS3 plugged in.

3rd one I bought was a Siemens dual socket wall outlet replacement, guess what, 5 days later it goes.

Has anyone had any experience with these remote controlled adapters/sockets? What could be causing the relays to go in them? It's a modern 2 bed flat apartment.

Thanks in advance.

I have no first hand experience of these things but often stuff like this is built in china and is rubbish.It doesnt sound like they are overloaded,are there any restrictions in the instructions as to the type of loads they are suitable for?.....if not they are probably just junk.

I have no first hand experience of these things but often stuff like this is built in china and is rubbish.It doesnt sound like they are overloaded,are there any restrictions in the instructions as to the type of loads they are suitable for?.....if not they are probably just junk.

Standard 13 amp load on all 3x models acording to instructions, some say 300w max but that's wrong, as some have dimmers for lamps built in. The 2nd model I bought 2x, and 1 is still working in another room. My only theories to go on are that all 3 models share the same crappy relay part inside (not sure about the Siemens wall socket one, as that was more expensive and hard wired in), or the wall socket is pushing out too much current which eventually damages the relay.

Being a noob with eletrical DIY, is there something you can buy to test the tolerance on the wall socket?

Thanks in advance.

Standard 13 amp load on all 3x models acording to instructions, some say 300w max but that's wrong, as some have dimmers for lamps built in. The 2nd model I bought 2x, and 1 is still working in another room. My only theories to go on are that all 3 models share the same crappy relay part inside (not sure about the Siemens wall socket one, as that was more expensive and hard wired in), or the wall socket is pushing out too much current which eventually damages the relay.

Being a noob with eletrical DIY, is there something you can buy to test the tolerance on the wall socket?

Thanks in advance.

The wall socket cant 'push out too much current'....the current through it will be the total current of the appliances it is serving,no more. 300w max or 3000w max?...300w is not much more than 1a so it could well be that you are overloading them if it is 300w max.

Reply to Remote controlled extensions / socket relay blowing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net