Discuss Remote mains switching/control options? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kc123

-
Reaction score
Hello there,
I have a property located in a very rural area that's only partly occupied, its also rented out for short periods. I live 2 hours drive from the property and the issue I have is that people keep leaving electrical items switched on which of course poses a huge fire risk. It can be days before I'm able to inspect the house.
I'd like to investigate the potential options for remotely isolating the power in the property.
Few things I need to consider:
*The house has Broadband so wifi control systems are an option.
*Don't want to kill the power to all the circuits ( would need to leave wifi and smoke alarms always powered on)
* Don't want to compromise the electrical safety of the house
*Those wifi power plugs are an option for sockets but some cover over the main switches (i'd like guests to easily use all facilities without having to download apps to switch a lamp on!)

I'm sure other people have encountered this issue. I suspect there isn't a simple answer.
I was thinking maybe some wifi controlled contractors? Not sure if you can get such a thing.
All recommendations greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum mate.
IMO, remote switching of the mains power is not a really good idea. There are safety issues. Things you thing are dead suddenly becoming live. (Insert Zombie pun here :))...
Its ok if you are remotely switching stuff on/off while you are in the house, but what you suggest is a lot different.

Hi Spoon,
Yeah I know what you mean, It's a tricky one.
I don't want to bypass any MCB/RCD's or control them in anyway. Has to be some way around this?

Hi Spoon,
Yeah I know what you mean, It's a tricky one.
I don't want to bypass any MCB/RCD's or control them in anyway. Has to be some way around this?

I know what you are trying to do mate and I totally understand.
The thing is though, you can't just go switching off certain circuits from 100 miles away.
Have you thought of replacing the light switches with PIR switches.
How about charging the people who are renting it out £50 extra. This they get back if all electrical appliances are switched off when they leave.

Forget technology , get one of the locals to look after it for you.
Worth it for the peace of mind. In a rural area there will be a little industry thriving on this type of work.

Yeah I tried this before and was let down badly. Once bitten twice shy.

So humour me, would contactors be a potential option?

Here's another thought - perhaps a smart meter with remote access will allow you to check if the meter is still running? If it was, then you could contact Somewhat Unreliable to go round and turn it all off and you could confirm it's been done?

@kc123
I agree with @Spoon and could create a situation worse than you are trying to solve.

Ensuring the installation and equipment is up to a good standard should also give you peace of mind.
Have you already had a bad experience?

Here's another thought - perhaps a smart meter with remote access will allow you to check if the meter is still running? If it was, then you could contact Somewhat Unreliable to go round and turn it all off and you could confirm it's been done?
I don't believe that lol. I will edit my post.

So humour me, would contactors be a potential option?

I am the funniest person on this forum so I don't have a problem with humour.
Humour and safety unfortunately don't go well together.

There are ways to physically do this. Should it be done? No.
Humour me, please look for a different method besides remote isolation.
See.... that was funny...

lmao... Thanks guys.

Swings and Roundabouts
I always dislike finding the power off, as I wonder which smashed socket/cut cable is going to greet me (or an in-experienced cleaner) with a loud bang - when re-enegised .
... but then some rooms are let out to animals ...
Hopefully your clientele are better!

Would it help to identify the main items you're concerned about and fit controls for those? In a properly designed installation there isn't much fire risk even if things are left on, LED lighting takes so little power you could run quite a few for years for the cost of a remote switch setup. It's annoying if people leave them on but pretty safe and not a major cost.

Heating appliances may be the main concern, an immersion heater can be on a switch so your occupier chooses an on duration when they need it. Heating systems may be an issue and there are plenty of options for remote control and monitoring (Nest, Hive etc). Any other concerns? Do they leave a pizza baking in the oven and forget it's there?

I like @DAvid Prosser idea above. It got me thinking last night about it. Yes I don't have a life...
You don't really need anything as sophisticated as a hotel key/card system. You could just use a key switch that can only have the key removed in the 'Off' position. This would operate a contactor for the given circuits. All enclosed in a small metal box near the consumer unit. (if it's easy to get to)
You could either: a) Keep the key in the switch, or b) post them the key when they book.
As above, they pay £50 up from, that is then reimbursed when they post the key back to you. You can supply a prepaid, addressed envelope/jiffy bag.
Also, so they don't forget before they leave, you would put a checklist on the main door with points like. Make sure all appliances are switched off before leaving. Return Insolator Key Switch using supplied envelope/jiffy bag.

Reply to Remote mains switching/control options? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net