Discuss removal of main cutout fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

you are supposed to contact the distribution network operator (DNO) ie. EDF and ask them to come out and remove the fuse.but you will never get through to who you need to, and then if you do they will give you a time slot of between 07-00 and say 13-00...... we just cannot work like this. so if you look in the past posts you will find mention of lock off wires that are always missing, and due to the Electricity at work regulations we must never work live, so that means you have to pull the fuse. ( by the way, i am not in anyway saying this is right or condone this action) But as my old boss used to say ' i know what you get up to, just never let me catch you doing it'.......!

No it doesn't mean you have to cut the tag and pull the fuse it means the tag wasn't there when I came to work on it so it was actually somebody else who cut it :wink5:

and due to the Electricity at work regulations we must never work live, so that means you have to pull the fuse.

EAWR don't state that live working is always prohibited. Incidentally, would you not consider pulling the supplier's fuse to be live working? Very dangerous. Shouldn't be doing it.

it's less dangerous than trying to feed "live" tails into a CU.

Dont know if any of you work within SSE patch, but I found on their website a pdf that explains that if you are part of a permited trade association they allow you to pull the fuses.

ssepd.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/15_News_and_Media/ProcedureOnTheRemoval.pdf <<<put www. in front of <<<

The DNO's need to have one consistent policy of allowing members of Part Pschemes to pull fuses in domestic premises.

That said I see a surprising number of fuses without seals!

buy some tags on ebay and re-seal after u have finished. I pull it myself and always will as my own H&S is what is important to me( dont like working live). I also purchased some electrical gloves when pulling the fuse to be extra careful. If u contacted the DNO every time u would not make any money! As long as you re-seal after, it stops the customer doing the same and u have left it as safe as u found it. The EAWR regs say we must isolate and not work live so thats what i do. And if they want to take me to court then they can as my life is more important that not pulling and working in a dangerous situation.
Its ur choice but thats what i do!!!
:cheesy:
Best of luck

25 Electrical / Gas Meter Security Seals + Wire Bargain | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
House we have been at today (friday)....old cast iron service head on a TT. My boss has advised the client that they could do with getting the DNO to come out and replace it. I wont be pulling that...he can bloody do it...lol.........

House we have been at today (friday)....old cast iron service head on a TT. My boss has advised the client that they could do with getting the DNO to come out and replace it. I wont be pulling that...he can bloody do it...lol.........

Pulling a head fuse is dangerous in SOSO many ways like Glenn has come across an old cast head THIS IS WHY I never advise "JUST PULL IT!" " What seal" ect ect Unless you can see the head and its condition WHY O WHY Would you want to advise someone else to JUST PULL IT??? If the person has to ask the question they are doubting their own competance to do it in the first place IMHO and advising JUST PULL IT may one of these days result in some inexperienced 5 week wonder chap qualified to the hilt getting injured or worse On his head stone they could put "He just Pulled The Fuse!"

You have to make your own risk assessment of the situation.

Cast iron head with porcelain links I wouldn’t touch now a days. OK I’ve done it in the past, but like me things get brittle with age.

Well as noted on another thread the pulling of the DNO fuse will become a mute discussion as of Jan, as if your wanting to abide by the BS 7671-2008, you can not pull a DNO fuse unless you have that DNO permission.

I would imagine we are going down the same road as our esteem colleges North of the Border.

I think it is all down to personnal risk assesment. ie is it safer to pull the fuse or work live, own competance, condition of equipment, working area, PPE etc.
That said you shouldnt be doing it.
Has anyone on here been reprimanded for pulling a fuse?

Last edited:
I pulled a 100A 1361 black carrier (with dno permission, sse) only to have it fall in to 2 pieces in my hand, not nice. I called sse and they were out within the hour to replace it. Could have been a lot worse.

are you competent to remove the fuse safely, providing care is taken then its no more dangerous than walking across the street, which leaves the legal issue and in myknowledge no one has ever been prosecuted for ding so and even if they were chances are it wouldnt go to court unless of course the hse has been involved due to accident or injury so with these things in mind make your own informed choice

Dont know if any of you work within SSE patch, but I found on their website a pdf that explains that if you are part of a permited trade association they allow you to pull the fuses.

ssepd.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/15_News_and_Media/ProcedureOnTheRemoval.pdf <<<put www. in front of <<<

Very handy. Is there a listing of the area's covered by this?

Reply to removal of main cutout fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock