Discuss Remove bolt that is snapped of in brickwork? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

i was fitting a set of gates and the bolt snapped.

i have tried drilling the bolt in the brickwork but my drill bits are not touching it.

any ideas on how to get this out, if its possible?

thank you

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Leave it and try and cover it with the brackets...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
EZ-out bit
i have the ez out bits they dont seem to be hard enough to make a scratch on the bolt though, what drillbits do you recommend?

Found Dewalt Extreme Hss good for RSJ drilling .
And obs a bolt extractor kit. Cheap enough from Screwfix.
Don't get the screw extractor. Doesn't work!

T

The Ghost

I guess you mean sleeve anchors? In which case drive the centre part in with hammer and punch and pull out the sleeve long nosed pliers then the bolt simples.

I guess you mean sleeve anchors? In which case drive the centre part in with hammer and punch and pull out the sleeve long nosed pliers then the bolt simples.
not a sleeve it is a bolt like a concrete anchor with bolt head

T

The Ghost

Difficult then! Friend of mine drills out studs from engines from local garages. He says sharp drill slow speed. However he pays up to £100 each for his drills. Tungsten drill pilot hole and size up to it???

Split point cobalt bits (M35 or M42) are extremely good. If they can't drill it, solid carbide bits are the next level up. Locksmiths use them on hardened steel.

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You need to do it as @westward10 and the quality drill bits as @rsgaz and others have advised. You must get a pilot hole in it with a smaller bit then work your way up to the easyout size you need.
Ideally you need to be left with just a shell to weaken the grip that the bolt will have given the amount of torque it will have taken to snap it .

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
If we going all out.......do you have access to a welder?

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Remove the brick it’s stuck in and replace that :)

You need to do it as @westward10 and the quality drill bits as @rsgaz and others have advised. You must get a pilot hole in it with a smaller bit then work your way up to the easyout size you need.
Ideally you need to be left with just a shell to weaken the grip that the bolt will have given the amount of torque it will have taken to snap it .
ok the buts i have wern't eve making a scratch

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
ok the buts i have wern't eve making a scratch
Get some Bits then! sorry!

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I forget the name of the bits we used on hardened steel , but there are a lot of quality bits available . As has been said , if possible centre punch to give the bit a start , use cutting oil and start with a small bit as I suggested earlier. It went in - it will come out with patience .
I take it this is a quality job and you cannot have an uneven line as @snowhead suggests.

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
How on earth did you snap it in the first place, those bolts are pretty tough normally!
The dreaded impact gun?

Gavin John Hyde

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have seen a electric gate fitter weld a piece of metal on the end of a broken bolt before as the head had snapped off, as the piece of metal was quite long he could use a bit of leverage to turn it anti clockwise and free it up and unscrew it.

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I have seen a electric gate fitter weld a piece of metal on the end of a broken bolt before as the head had snapped off, as the piece of metal was quite long he could use a bit of leverage to turn it anti clockwise and free it up and unscrew it.
That's fine if there is enough to get a weld on to it. Another method is to hammer an oversize nut onto the stud and weld that to it.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
masonry drill all round it in the concrete. get it out. refill with fine concrete mix. go back next day and re-drill for new bolt.

S

Squid

Remove brick, fit replacement brick, job jobbed.....

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed

this might come handy .

D

Deleted member 26818

Cobalt drill bits are the only bits that will do anything.
If they don’t work, you’ll have to drill down the side of the bolt.

S

Squid

Cut the head off a bolt super glue it over the hole collect money disappear...........

S

Squid

Core drill around the outside of the bolt if you can't get it out by using HSS drills and a bolt extractor, then use one of those resin bolt kits to fix a stud in to the hole. Ignore baddegg as he doesn't have a sense of humour.........

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Ha ha apologies swd I didn’t mean to give you a disagree,

For anyone not yet sold on cobalt bits, I drilled a hole, through a drill bit! To prove it's not just some picture I found on the interweb, there's my username in the pics...

3.0mm split point HSS-Co bit into 12mm HSS-G...

20190308_211101.jpg
20190308_211136.jpg

If we going all out.......do you have access to a welder?
This could make " BaddEgg"
.. Improvised Stud of the Weak ..
-(Bolt replacement )- Then just add nuts !
...(insert groan here)...

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
For anyone not yet sold on cobalt bits, I drilled a hole, through a drill bit! To prove it's not just some picture I found on the interweb, there's my username in the pics...

3.0mm split point HSS-Co bit into 12mm HSS-G...

View attachment 48231
View attachment 48232
This would be very impressive,if it was on the flutes.....

You have drilled it,in the soft part.....check if you want,using a file.
This is why you can file the pips and scuffs off,that slipping in a chuck causes.....but you don't use a file,for sharpening the same bit :)

Remove the wall, transport it to a good engineering workshop and ask them to spark erode the bolt out,

Rpa07

-
Arms
Esteemed
You got two optomistics because not only did you post twice but it is very OPTOMISTIC seeing as the bolt snapped in the first place. Now if you could use the angle grinder to make a PZ3 then you might stand a chance!
Use angle grinder to cut a slit (north to south) in the bolt and use flat head screwdriver to remove bolt.

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Also it is very rare that a snapped bolt leaves much of a stud protruding , in my experience they are magically flush.

What material is it made from?
Stainless can harden and be a right pain to drill.
Also be gentle with centre punching as this can cause problems on stainless.

D

Deleted member 26818

Has anyone mentioned cobalt drills?

This would be very impressive,if it was on the flutes.....
try drilling the other end.
That's true, the cobalt bit could only make a small dent before I snapped the bit. Solid carbide drill bit, however.... :p

20190313_115537.jpg
20190313_115613.jpg

Why didn't you drill through it lengthways so you could use it as a through coolant drill?

Gary K

-
DIY
[email protected]@er off Chris!! Challenge not accepted!! :p

I don't have a carbide drill anywhere near long enough! Nor a lathe.
Drill it from both ends then!
Heard you were good, obviously heard wrong!

Reply to Remove bolt that is snapped of in brickwork? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom