• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Removed alarm, confused by wires!! in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, I’ve removed the antiquated burglar alarm from the wall in my understates toilet. It’s on the circuit marked as ‘downstairs lights’.
I had expected to be able to simply joint the corresponding wires that went in and out, but they’re not the same colours!
Any advice on how I should proceed would be very much appreciated!
Photo of the colours attached...

image.jpg

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Do you know where the other end of the cables go?

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It looks like the cables are going up the wall.
Is this a downstairs wall? If so, can you get to the floor board above the cable?

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Have you got a photo of before?
How I wish that DIYers doing any work, would take pick of whatever they are messing with before hand. It would save a lot of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did that earlier; only thing that didn’t work was the light in that room(the downstairs toilet), all other downstairs lights were working again once on at the CU.
Unfortunately I can’t lift the boards above

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
think it's time to call in a local sparks.

yeah figured as much :/ thanks for all the responses everyone :)

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
yeah figured as much :/ thanks for all the responses everyone :)
No worries mate.
Next time, when doing anything with electrics, like light switches or anything, take a pic of how its wired beforehand. Even mark up the cables. (of course with the power off)

T

The Ghost

Yes well I thought maybe not re piccys. It would have helped to opine on how to reconnect the wires you show. Do you remember where and how they were connected inside the alarm? Does this mean your lighting is now off and you have pleased the missus no end?

Yes well I thought maybe not re piccys. It would have helped to opine on how to reconnect the wires you show. Do you remember where and how they were connected inside the alarm? Does this mean your lighting is now off and you have pleased the missus no end?
Unfortunately not :/ just that they were connected through this (photo attached). Nah I’ve taped up the wires boxed off at height, and we now have the rest of the gf working, it’s just the downstairs toilet that’s off :(

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Removed alarm, confused by wires!! in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom