Discuss Removing a circuit with security alarm - help? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just moved into a new house and there is a security alarm that doesn't work properly and the trip switch of the circuit that it is on is just permanently down.

I want to rip out the alarm and get rid of it as it is old and no good.

Can I just remove the circuit from the Consumer Unit if I put the main switches down? Once the circuit is removed, can I then just rip out the alarm as there will be no power going to it?

Is this safe? Do I need to go to the expense of hiring an electrician just to remove it?

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks,

BrennaBoy.

As long as you are 100% sure it is isolated I don't see why not.

Do you not need the circuit for the new alarm?

Does the supply go through a fused connection unit before the alarm? Isolate the circuit and change it to a socket. Might be useful in the future.

Some alarms have a battery backup... remove that after isolating the mains power. Also may have a tamper circuit- it might set off the alarm if you take the cover off.

Finally, once everything is removed, take it to your council recycling depot rather than general waste.

Yes, It does have a fused unit box by the alarm control box, both of which are located in a cupboard in the upstairs bedroom.

I am not going to get a new alarm.

The reason that I want to remove it is it is in a cupboard in the upstairs bedroom which I want to renovate and rip it out as it is just in the way.

How long has the alarm been switched off at the consumer unit?
As mentioned in post #4, some alarms have battery backup. Also the bell may have a battery in it and if you remove the wires going to the bell the bell may go off.
If you want to remove the alarm completely, start with the bell. Then see post #2.

I get a bit fed up with the expression "rip it out"...

I hear this all the time...oh, I like the house but I'm going to rip out that kitchen/bathroom/ whatever...

In a former life, I used to reply..."why not remove it gently, it'll take less time and make less mess?"

All I got was blank stares...

Just rip it out ,;)if you want too .
i bet now somebody will now screaming at the screen now .:D

You have too much time on your hands Pirate to write such a pointless reply. The alarm broken and is so old it is worthless, there are wires trailing everywhere and it is just in the way. So yes, I will be "ripping the stupid thing out" and with as much force as is needed.

Thanks everyone else for the helpful replies, much appriciated.

In a former life, I used to reply..."why not remove it gently, it'll take less time and make less mess?"
All I got was blank stares...

But when some people remove it gently, it looks like it's been ripped out.

You have too much time on your hands Pirate to write such a pointless reply. The alarm broken and is so old it is worthless, there are wires trailing everywhere and it is just in the way. So yes, I will be "ripping the stupid thing out" and with as much force as is needed.

Thanks everyone else for the helpful replies, much appriciated.

Is a bit of a waste as all the wiring is in place. Panel wiring could be extended to a new position , pirs and door contacts are likely still fine, a new panel and bellbox and you'd have a functioning intruder alarm again.

Is a bit of a waste as all the wiring is in place. Panel wiring could be extended to a new position , pirs and door contacts are likely still fine, a new panel and bellbox and you'd have a functioning intruder alarm again.

I asked the question in post #3. The OP is not getting a new alarm.
Maybe in the future, if he wants an alarm and doesn't want to put wired back in he could go for one of the wireless alarms.

Maybe in the future, if he wants an alarm and doesn't want to put wired back in he could go for one of the wireless alarms.
Yeah, waste though innit. Wireless is very 2nd rate compared to wired. Easy to install and equally effective, but forever needing batteries

Yeah, waste though innit. Wireless is very 2nd rate compared to wired. Easy to install and equally effective, but forever needing batteries

Very true mate. I much prefer wired.
OP want to rip it out, let him rip it out...

batteries require replacing every 2 -3 years. not a huge problem and a nice little earner for future.

batteries require replacing every 2 -3 years. not a huge problem and a nice little earner for future.

Oh yeah, they are great for installers. ADT and Chubb love wireless systems. Kerching!! ££££
I wouldn't want one though. Quite happy with my good old Accenta G4 :)

I fitted a battery powered alarm in my own gaff when we went on an extended holiday last year. Just as a deterant.
When we got home 5 weeks later,I had forgotten the code.

My wife, helpful as ever reminded me that we had decided to use the dogs birthday as the code.

How the hell am I supposed to know that? Bad enough remembering her birthday

Reply to Removing a circuit with security alarm - help? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net