Discuss Removing obsolete circuits from outside house. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paulwalldall

Hi. my niece has had an inspection on her house and hoping to let it out. inspection done by letting agencys man at the very last minute and lists a number of things required as do not meet current regulations. i agree with some of these. bonding etc. not so others. earthing wires too small but ok at time installed. the most unusual was : "tracing and removing if unused wiring on outside of house." This was strongly recommended as does not comply with current regs. I cant recall this regulation, can anyone shed any light Thanks.

At a guess I would say it is going to be some T&E cable clipped to the outside.

The regulations require that cables be suitable for the environment, T&E is not uv stable so should not be exposed to sunlight. Generally any cable which is suitable will be black, the same as only black PVC conduit can be used outside, not white.

Ok Stan but where does it say it's against regs
I do see your Pont and would say I would recommend to remove them but the electrician is saying it's against regs

If it's a reg number you're after then I can't help but the only time I'd be happy about any unused cct is if it was terminated and marked up correctly stating cct particulars eg ex outside lighting cable fed from cct number 5 etc.

Thanks for very quick replys. realise my post was a little confused as trying to put little ones to bed at the time. Try again.
Inspector says he needs to trace and remove wiring outside of house if it is for obsolete circuits, as to leave it there will contrave regs. probably is t+e and completely agree on the potential for an acccident but is it really against a specific reg to leave it there or a general 'try to prevent accidents ' type regulation. cant imagine a regulation asking you to trace and identify all wires if your not really sure what they might do.

If the cables were cut short so unable to be 're used I would have thought that would be acceptable but I don't know the runs etc . Has your electrical given this a code ?

Thanks for very quick replys. realise my post was a little confused as trying to put little ones to bed at the time. Try again.
Inspector says he needs to trace and remove wiring outside of house if it is for obsolete circuits, as to leave it there will contrave regs. probably is t+e and completely agree on the potential for an acccident but is it really against a specific reg to leave it there or a general 'try to prevent accidents ' type regulation. cant imagine a regulation asking you to trace and identify all wires if your not really sure what they might do.

I agree wholeheartedly on removing obsolete wiring/circuits as these can inadvertenly become energised (if not already). What are/were these obsolete cables supplying?

If the circuit is disconnected then it isn't going to be inadvertently energised, and if it is correctly terminated then there is no danger from it being energised, it's just a bit pointless.

No codes for any of the work. just says doesnt comply with current regs. just says bonding under bath. tho plastic pipes attach to bath taps. .Upgrade earth cable to consumer unit to 16mm., sure original complied with regs in force at installation. Run 10mm earthing to gas and water services. there might not be any at all. cant check as house is 60 miles away. and check and remove wire outside property if no longer in use.
Grand total of £365 plus vat.

Bit annoyed as survey done yesterday by letting agencys man and there tenants want to move in on Tuesday. Been asking for survey for 6 weeks now. not sure about bonding to services but the rest complies with regs in force at time of installation so bit annoyed ot bill but the work makes sense to do. just feel like theyre trying to make a fast quid by leaving it till last minute Ggggrrrr.

No codes for any of the work. just says doesnt comply with current regs. just says bonding under bath. tho plastic pipes attach to bath taps. .Upgrade earth cable to consumer unit to 16mm., sure original complied with regs in force at installation. Run 10mm earthing to gas and water services. there might not be any at all. cant check as house is 60 miles away. and check and remove wire outside property if no longer in use.
Grand total of £365 plus vat.

Bit annoyed as survey done yesterday by letting agencys man and there tenants want to move in on Tuesday. Been asking for survey for 6 weeks now. not sure about bonding to services but the rest complies with regs in force at time of installation so bit annoyed ot bill but the work makes sense to do. just feel like theyre trying to make a fast quid by leaving it till last minute Ggggrrrr.

It sounds a little bit like someone could be a bit short on actually knowing the rules they are apparently inspecting to!

If I were you I would insist on seeing the inspection report before agreeing to any work! And find out the name of the contractor to check then out, don't just trust that they are ok because the agents use them!

I do work for a Lettings agency and have never had anyone check my work or ask for any references!
I carry out 'visual inspections' for them and give them a printed report made up of the inspection schedule from and EICR plus the supply details page etc along with a list of all observations with explanations and recommendations on how to fix.

Possibly. makes sense to identify odd wires appearing for no obvious reason. How would you label wires outside a house though. apart from installation diagram and notes.

Also the bonding should be tested and then say what needs to no done rather than say its to small , it could still be ok
And Stan my regs book is in the van will look tomorrow

Don't get too exited dd, all it states is :
514.1.2 So far as is reasonably practicable, wiring shall be so arranged or marked that it can be identified for inspection, testing, repair or alteration of the installation.

Reply to Removing obsolete circuits from outside house. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock