Discuss Removing Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just had a phone call from an retired couple, been sold free solar, neighbours don't like the look of the design and have been giving her grief for around a year (so old tariff 43p). Company who installed gone burst, company who bought out bankrupt company gone burst and now been sold a third time.

She wants to buy the system back and remove panels to the north side of the house what happens to the feed in tariff if moved.
Also she is on a fixed cost electric were one price per year covers all electric consumption no matter how much is used

Any comments

Many thanks

I'd say firstly her neighbours are mean. Secondly I'd say it's probably worth calling Gemserv to find out what their take would be on it. There could be legal or contractual issues with them not being the owners of the system and alterations or removals could have dire consequences for them.

Gemserv 02070901082

They are trying to buy the system back today, i am waiting for phone call, to see how much this will cost them.

Assuming they come to an agreeable settlement with the current system owner, the householder then becomes the recipient of the FiT payment. Moving the system to the northerly facing roof won't have an effect on the FiT rate to which they are entitled to receive - there will, of course, be a significant reduction in the amount of generated electricity. In you're position, I'd be inclined to make sure the housholders have copies of SAP calculations for the system as it stands and for the system once moved, so they can see the financial implication of doing so. They may decide to put up with the nimby neighbour when they see this!

How about knocking on the neighbour's door and offer to install panels for them so they aren't jealous any more. They can help design the layout so it's more visually appealing. Maybe give them a 5% discount for being such friendly people. :wink5:

Assuming they come to an agreeable settlement with the current system owner, the householder then becomes the recipient of the FiT payment. Moving the system to the northerly facing roof won't have an effect on the FiT rate to which they are entitled to receive - there will, of course, be a significant reduction in the amount of generated electricity. In you're position, I'd be inclined to make sure the housholders have copies of SAP calculations for the system as it stands and for the system once moved, so they can see the financial implication of doing so. They may decide to put up with the nimby neighbour when they see this!

If the panels are moved i will have re issue MCS certificate (Gemserv advice)
E-on wont let the old tariff stand so will be on the new rates 16p
:8:

New MCS only if the panels are moved to a new property with a new MPAN, not if your just rejigging them around the roof. The current 43p will stand, what on Earth are EON talking about

If the panels are moved i will have re issue MCS certificate (Gemserv advice)
E-on wont let the old tariff stand so will be on the new rates 16p

Does not sound totally logical.

If they want a new MCS certificate because it is a new/extended installation then the panels would not be 'new' so not eligible for FIT.
If they simply want you to amend existing certificate then expected annual production changes but nothing else probably so I cannot see why it would not remain on existing tariff. It is the same plant, same installation, same site etc.

Be careful asking questions if you might not like the answer!

ah. As you didn't install the original system though you'll not be able to amend the existing cert, so would have to issue a new one etc.

Why would you need to inform either MCS (Gemserv) or EON? Nothing downstream of the inverter will be changing, will it? Or do you plan to install a low-rated inverter to handle the lower energy generation?

I don't see why the customer should be changing anyway because the neighbour doesn't like it. That's just tough imo. I don't like my neighbour's dog barking at 6am but I wouldn't dream of telling him to get rid of it.

if it were me, i'd be bombarding the neighbour's letterbox with estate agents leaflets. phone all the equity release companies and 2nd motgage sharks to give them an offer. if thart didn't shift them, i'd get a few pikeys to park their caravans outside.

If you move your system from one roof to another it will be same FITS rate as before !

Where on the MCS cert does it say system direction ???????

if you add panels or remove some then a new mcs cert needs producing !

during the dec rush didnt some installers fit on ground the move to roof at a later date ?

If you move your system from one roof to another it will be same FITS rate as before !

Where on the MCS cert does it say system direction ???????

if you add panels or remove some then a new mcs cert needs producing !

during the dec rush didnt some installers fit on ground the move to roof at a later date ?

The only possibly comeback is that the system as was designed and sold has now been altered so if anything was to go wrong, all previous paperwork sorted shows the system generating under a specific orientation/specification. And we all know that mcs is all about the paperwork.

Yep but sometimes you have to remove and reinstall them for maintenance purposes, or say I want to put a skylight there, or add or remove a chimney, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to move them around my roof to my hearts content. Just because I take the whole system off to re-roof (it was flat) and now reinstall on a 45degree pitch roof because I have extended my property, I don't see why I should have to reapply for a new MCS certificate.... Gemserv (MCS) probably haven't thought it through yet - 25 years is a long time not to modify a roof.

We have already had to take out and reinstall part of one 50kWp job when a new big aircon unit had to go on a roof and we had to take them up and move some about , - they got the equivalent oof a new commissioning document from us to say that it was all done to MCS standards, however there was no way we'd reregister it.

I strongly suspect that when she gets the price for buying the system back her flabber will be well and truly gasted.

I'd not spend too much time on this if I were you, as the chances she'll actually be able to buy it back at a reasonable price are pretty low IMO.

Reply to Removing Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock