Discuss Removing small section of coving in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I need to remove a small section of plaster coving to run a new cable from the wall downstairs to under the upstairs floorboards (putting a new light in they want on a seperate switch). So ideally I want to remove a small section of coving and then replace it.

I have done this in the past with varying results, but any tips welcome?

Note: I am only running the cable vertically through the coving.

Yes if you chase up to the coving/moulding then 90 degree chuck with drill to reach up you should be fine. Never had to cut coving or mouldings yet in a house.

So ideally I want to remove a small section of coving and then replace it.
Note: I am only running the cable vertically through the coving.[/QUOTE]
Don't remove any coving. Instead cut a channel in the plaster behind the coving. You will need to do this from the room and from the upstairs floor boards.I did this last week . I used a long screwdriver from the floor above and a multi tool to cut the channel behind the coving.COVING.JPG

Don't remove any coving. Instead cut a channel in the plaster behind the coving. You will need to do this from the room and from the upstairs floor boards.I did this last week . I used a long screwdriver from the floor above and a multi tool to cut the channel behind the coving.View attachment 42617[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the useful replies guys, and ELECNEWT that looks a very neat job.

Don't remove any coving. Instead cut a channel in the plaster behind the coving. You will need to do this from the room and from the upstairs floor boards.I did this last week . I used a long screwdriver from the floor above and a multi tool to cut the channel behind the coving.View attachment 42617[/QUOTE]
Do they keep wild animals at home as something has been at the wallpaper..........

No need to remove coving at all. As said above, chase up to under side.
I used to drill upwards with a 10mm long masonary bit.
Also used a bent cold chisel to remove plaster behind the coving.
No need to get directly above, but easier if you can.

could just get yourself a long 20mm spade bit, one of the guys welded an irwin bit to 1.5metres of steel rod, was alright if there was space in the loft to get it down the first hole for drilling the next dwang, had a habit of kicking out and bursting the wall though so it rarely got used

a 10mm, long masonry bit. see whata difference a comma makes. like

"shall we eat mother?" or "shall we eat, mother?"

Reply to Removing small section of coving in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net