Discuss Removing wires that appeared to trapped in wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nisioptimum

The light in a under stairs toilet is linked to the extractor fan (timer). The builder looped into the switch then used 1mm2 T&E to the rose, then old colours 2.5mm T&E out to a junction box, then connected 3 core and earth to the fan. For the permanent live he used a core of 1mm2 wired into the back of a light switch for the other area under stairs,separated from toilet by a stud wall. Anyway I am going to change it wiring correctly and also fitting an isolator switch for the fan. The problem is the wires will not budge I have tried from both ends and also my son and his mate who are far stronger than me could not shift them. I have tried to get my smallest rod through but despite many tries I am unable to find a path. The customer says she thinks the builder clipped the wire to the frame when he was building the stud wall. So what should have been a nice easy job is becoming a royal pain. I am thinking of using my hole saw to make an exploratory hole and see if I can locate were it is trapped. Any ideas ? I will off course safely isolate the circuit before drilling and have check no other circuit use that run.

The light in a under stairs toilet is linked to the extractor fan (timer). The builder looped into the switch then used 1mm2 T&E to the rose, then old colours 2.5mm T&E out to a junction box, then connected 3 core and earth to the fan. For the permanent live he used a core of 1mm2 wired into the back of a light switch for the other area under stairs,separated from toilet by a stud wall. Anyway I am going to change it wiring correctly and also fitting an isolator switch for the fan. The problem is the wires will not budge I have tried from both ends and also my son and his mate who are far stronger than me could not shift them. I have tried to get my smallest rod through but despite many tries I am unable to find a path. The customer says she thinks the builder clipped the wire to the frame when he was building the stud wall. So what should have been a nice easy job is becoming a royal pain. I am thinking of using my hole saw to make an exploratory hole and see if I can locate were it is trapped. Any ideas ? I will off course safely isolate the circuit before drilling and have check no other circuit use that run.

Get the builder back to take the walls out and put them back when you have finished.

If you are sorting this out yourself then you have no option but to make a small series of holes, followed by a series of larger holes, followed by thinking "sod it" and ripping the whole wall out.
Brace your customer for the worst.

T&E from the lighting rose is live to switch live and neutral to neutral at rose, is then joined in a junction box with switch live to SL, neutral to neutral, and then a single from 1mm2 cable
into the back of another light switch connected to the common is connected to the permanent live. Sorry the connections described are to the 3core connected into the fan. I hope this explains I can see why it works just so wrong.

Okay I will leave it there as it sounds like a normal old fashioned bodge job which although not up to today's standards works and probably okay unless I really am missing something obvious, the fact the cables won't move is because they are clipped I suspect, abandon ship I apologise If I am really wrong, just totally confused . com.

If you did want to disconnect it you could always disconnect both ends of each cable/wire that supplies the fan and cut them back. Just leave the unused T&E/cable in the wall - it won't hurt anything. Daz

I am lost here, can you explain again, I just don't get it, sorry but I am confused lol

i'll tell you exactly whats happening my old mucker

captain part p here has decided to rip out some other dudes work for absolutely no other reason simply than he doesnt like the look of it , even though it all works anyway.
in the process causing considerable damage and cost to the homeowner cos he's seen a jb and a bit of 2.5.
this is all being justified on the the likely hood ( billion to 1 ) that a surveyor might see it if the house is up for sale.
not that any surveyor ever looks beyond the cu under the stairs

in other words , a big fat f****** joke.

The only real problem as I can see it is the isolation of the fan , as long as the CPCs are not being used a live or neutral and you have continuity of CPCs throughout , looks to me then all you need is an isolator beside the fan really thats all .

Biff55 should have explained that light switch it is connected to is the light switch surveyor will have to turn on to see CU under stairs. I suggested to the customer that it was not going to be worth doing and the likelihood is the buyer will want some money off to fix it along with everything else the surveyor will find "wrong". She does not want that so I was looking at solutions with as little disruption as possible.

Do you mean the understairs cupboard light which is separate to the toilet brings on the fan in the toilet ,I don't fully understand

i'll tell you exactly whats happening my old mucker

captain part p here has decided to rip out some other dudes work for absolutely no other reason simply than he doesnt like the look of it , even though it all works anyway.
in the process causing considerable damage and cost to the homeowner cos he's seen a jb and a bit of 2.5.
this is all being justified on the the likely hood ( billion to 1 ) that a surveyor might see it if the house is up for sale.
not that any surveyor ever looks beyond the cu under the stairs

in other words , a big fat f****** joke.
oh aye them surveyors are brilliant (not) my mate bought a house,report said electrics in good order,I went to put a shower in an found everything in vir,£800 he paid for survey,they gave him a refund following a letter and photo's from me.IMO they flick a few switches and if lights come on then it's good wiring lol.

Reply to Removing wires that appeared to trapped in wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net