Discuss Renovating a double decker help needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all, bit of a strange one I'm renovating a double decker bus and tonight went to check on the elections work and noticed there all bends in the cables and twisted for the lights and sockets am I right in thinking their shouldnt be as it can short and be dangerous I have rang him and he's said it's all fine and will be signed off just looking for some reassurance as this will be a 2nd home for me and my children any help appreciated

Interesting idea! Can you post some pictures of the wiring. And the bus!

Interesting idea! Can you post some pictures of the wiring. And the bus!
Hey dpg this is some I will take some more as it was dark the cladding is what I've done today but now panicking as he's cable tied some of the wires to the railings and will always be exposed
[automerge]1574372406[/automerge]
Hey dpg this is some I will take some more as it was dark the cladding is what I've done today but now panicking as he's cable tied some of the wires to the railings and will always be exposed
These are just upstairs so far as working my way down

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191121-213235.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20191121-213159.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_20191121-213148.png
    413.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20191121-213134.png
    643.7 KB · Views: 123
Looking interesting that. Yeah post some more pictures showing the twisted wiring you are concerned about.

Is the consumer unit in yet?

Looking interesting that. Yeah post some more pictures showing the twisted wiring you are concerned about.

Is the consumer unit in yet?
Yes the switch board has been done today and i will do be going down there after I've dropped the kids off at school

Reactions: DPG
Get some pictures posted and I'm sure people will give their opinions.

Hi Stacey is this bus going to be mobile or static as this makes a difference to the type of wiring that can be used.

Why do u say that? Is there something wrong with the electrics or the way I've done it as it will be driven to its final destination when I've finished and that's a few 100 miles

On mobile units you need to consider the vibration when moving. This generally means that you need to use a cable with fine flexible cores rather than solid cores.

I didn’t think it was going to be used as a mobile home. A lot of caravan sites have height restriction beams, and a double decker bus would be tricky to get in.

Is there a reason the internal walls are made from quite heavy and thick wood?
Static caravans for example are maybe only 1” square frame and thin plywood.

I didn’t think it was going to be used as a mobile home. A lot of caravan sites have height restriction beams, and a double decker bus would be tricky to get in.

I'm assuming it's for the appearance that that type of wood has been used.

It's going on a site to be used for family when they come and visit also the wood is cls and thought it would allow more room for installation and cables as will be used all year round

Reactions: DPG
Evening all sorry for late photos here's the electrics that I have real concerns about

Attachments

• received_2182436895392923.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 75
  • received_551258878783696.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 70
  • received_451323808910158.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 69
  • received_563092917845942.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 68
  • received_442271383144948.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 67
That round junction box is not suitable to be located where it cannot be accessed. And it would need fastening down anyhow as there is no cable support/strain relief.

That round junction box is not suitable to be located where it cannot be accessed. And it would need fastening down anyhow as there is no cable support/strain relief.
But the rest is ok and suitable he's coming back Monday to finish off thank u so much for your help means alot

Reply to Renovating a double decker help needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net