Discuss Rented accommodation - 5yr or 10yr interval for EICR???? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

opsman

Got some serious debate going on about this. For domestic installations, Guidance Note 3 states "Maximum period between inspections and testing as necessary" = Change of occupancy/10 years. For commercial installations, Guidance Note 3 states "Maximum period between inspections and testing as necessary" = Change of occupancy/5 years.
The thing is - Is a rented property classed as "Domestic" or "Commercial" ??? Does anyone know of any definitive documentation on this? NICEIC sit on the fence as usual. Various insurance firms have conflicting opinions. I suspect opinions on here will be divided also, but am hopeful one of you clever chaps will be able to give a definitive answer.

GN3 for domestic rented property 5 years for I&T but recommends yearly routine checks

landlords and farmers, debateable which is the bigger pain in the arse.

The clue is in the name of the publication, guidance. There is a thread debating this some where but until there is a definitive answer from those in power nothing will change and people will do as the see fit.

Is only recommendation so legally he doesn't have to, but he should be maintaining and this is just a way to prove proper maintenance

Get him to look at the Landlords and Tenants act. Statutory document, law, etc. Then watch his a**e drop out when he considers welshing on his obligations.

Cheers..........Howard.

Me personally 5 years max on domestic RENTED. 10 years MAX domestic on OWNER OCCUPIED.

Obviously not a black and white rule, just a rule of thumb really.

Surely the retest period is down to the inspector and the "state" of the installation on the day of the inspection.

i.e.

if its owned and in prestine condition then 10 years

if its a rental and its got low IR, and obviously poorly maintained then 2 years or less

That's my view and the last thing I'm going to do is put 10 years because GN3 suggests it and its obvious that poor maintenance/distructive tennents will have its toll.

Me personally 5 years max on domestic RENTED. 10 years MAX domestic on OWNER OCCUPIED.

Obviously not a black and white rule, just a rule of thumb really.

Guitarist has hit nail on head. You are the person on site making the judgement, everything else is just guidance.

Got some serious debate going on about this. For domestic installations, Guidance Note 3 states "Maximum period between inspections and testing as necessary" = Change of occupancy/10 years. For commercial installations, Guidance Note 3 states "Maximum period between inspections and testing as necessary" = Change of occupancy/5 years.
The thing is - Is a rented property classed as "Domestic" or "Commercial" ??? Does anyone know of any definitive documentation on this? NICEIC sit on the fence as usual. Various insurance firms have conflicting opinions. I suspect opinions on here will be divided also, but am hopeful one of you clever chaps will be able to give a definitive answer.

Picking up the second question in this post , regarding domestic or commercial ?
Well the oxford dictionary definition of a commercial premises is somewhere that produces goods or services to sell.
So a domestic property is not considered commercial regardless of whether the inhabitants are owners or renters.
Clearly a too difficult concept for the NIC helpdesk monkeys to grasp lol.

Of course , if the tenents are running a business from home it sort of buggers up my explanation :-D

Reply to Rented accommodation - 5yr or 10yr interval for EICR???? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock