Discuss Rented property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am soon going to be replacing a domestic CU for a customer who has purchased a property to be rented out.

I have done many EICR's for other landlords but I would like clarification if I need to do an EICR in addition to the "Electrical Installation Works Certificate" I will issue with the CU change.

Thank you

Yes - by the time you've changed the C/U, you'll have all the test results needed for the EICR anyway.

From experience a letting agent will not accept an installation certificate instead of an inspection report. It's almost like accepting a service receipt in place of a car MOT.

Last edited:
Letting agents are thick as pig ....

Post 2 is unfortunately true - i have had the same issue "we want a condition report"

.... that's fine but you'll pay for it on top.

Seems stupid doing an EICR and EIC when only an EIC is needed, but if thats what the client requests then do both and get paid for both, happy days.

I would speak to whoever is sanctioning your work as opposed to asking on here buddy. EIC is all that is needed, but if they want an EICR swell then thats up to them.

It seems crazy doing both as most of the information is the same, the customer doesn't know what they need/want, they just want whatever is legally required to rent it out.

They have not specifically asked for an EICR and I am not 100% sure what the requirement is considering that it will have a recent EIC.

Mark.

Letting agents are thick as pig ....

Post 2 is unfortunately true - i have had the same issue "we want a condition report"

.... that's fine but you'll pay for it on top.

Seems stupid doing an EICR and EIC when only an EIC is needed, but if thats what the client requests then do both and get paid for both, happy days.

I would speak to whoever is sanctioning your work as opposed to asking on here buddy. EIC is all that is needed, but if they want an EICR swell then thats up to them.

Must admit that I've never been asked to do this but with Tysoft EasyCert you can save a eic as an eicr and it will generate a new report with all the test results.
All you need to do is fill in the schedule of items tested.

Takes half hour

Must admit that I've never been asked to do this but with Tysoft EasyCert you can save a eic as an eicr and it will generate a new report with all the test results.
All you need to do is fill in the schedule of items tested.

Takes half hour

But charge for 1 hour - that's what I do

It seems crazy doing both as most of the information is the same, the customer doesn't know what they need/want, they just want whatever is legally required to rent it out.

They have not specifically asked for an EICR and I am not 100% sure what the requirement is considering that it will have a recent EIC.

Mark.

As far As I am aware there is no specific legal requirement to have an EICR performed to let out a property, although not sure if Welsh requirements differ. Letting agents and insurance firms may have their own stipulations though.

The landlord is under an obligation to provide and maintain a safe electrical system where one exists. A good way to prove that is with an EICR and periodic testing however :)

I was always taught/told that it is required at a max of every ten years or when there is a change of tenants.

Mark.

These are recommendations laid down in GN3. The recommended interim for rented property is 5 years, 10 years is for privately owned domestic properties. These are only recommendations, however strongly they are recommended, so be careful of misleading customers.

Information for Landlords & Responsibilities | Electrical Safety First

There is a downloadable guide for landlords on the right of this page which includes legal obligations.

Reply to Rented property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net