uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Repairing drills - makita in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Trainee
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

A friend of mine was about to throw a makita 481 away because it stopped working and was smoking. It's a 2014 brushless drill and looks hardly used so I've decided to try and rescue it.

I've got it home and it doesn't work, smoke just comes out from the battery area. Smells of strong plastic burning.

I've took it apart and noticed a black chard area around a resister which sits directly above the battery housing. This is the area the smoke comes out from.

Has anyone got any advice on this? Should I just purchased the same resistor and replace it?

IMG_20190411_201326.jpg
 
Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

michaelw6

-
Arms
Thats a capacitor and you could try it they are about £1 on ebay worth a try. then you could sell the drill for £60! ;-)
 

ashrow

-
Arms
I would bin it
I use makita and i melt the inner of mine even before a year is up (the insides do not like prolonged use and the heat melts the plastic)
I bin mine (although they are in warranty )as i know i abuse them.
 

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Electrolytics do go bad, and overheat, and leak and do all sorts of nasty things, but they rarely get hot enough to melt plastic because they contain liquid which boils first and splits the top open.

If you are lucky, it is completely S/C, the battery is cooking it and its wiring and replacing it will fix the fault. More likely, there will be all sorts of shorted semis and other problems in the controller that make it a basket case.

I can't read the capacitance and voltage but it appears to be a Panasonic FR-series low-ESR 105° cap. If you do fancy replacing it, you must use a cap of equivalent performance because of the high ripple currents in an inverter drive.
 

gazdkw82

-
Trainee
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
It looks like the capacitor is in a moulded unit. I'll have to look at how to get it out and leave me with something to get a break one in place.

Could it be something else that has caused it to burn out?
 

michaelw6

-
Arms
I would bin it
I use makita and i melt the inner of mine even before a year is up (the insides do not like prolonged use and the heat melts the plastic)
I bin mine (although they are in warranty )as i know i abuse them.
You Obviously have more money than sence!
 

gazdkw82

-
Trainee
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #12
Doing abit of research it looks like it's the controller fet (field effect transistor)
 

michaelw6

-
Arms
Electrolytics do go bad, and overheat, and leak and do all sorts of nasty things, but they rarely get hot enough to melt plastic because they contain liquid which boils first and splits the top open.

If you are lucky, it is completely S/C, the battery is cooking it and its wiring and replacing it will fix the fault. More likely, there will be all sorts of shorted semis and other problems in the controller that make it a basket case.

I can't read the capacitance and voltage but it appears to be a Panasonic FR-series low-ESR 105° cap. If you do fancy replacing it, you must use a cap of equivalent performance because of the high ripple currents in an inverter drive.
Could be something simple like your mate used aftermarket batterys from japan and they fried the drill. If i was you for a couple of quid and just your own time try it you have nothing to loose. just make sure its like for like component. Good luck
 
S

Silly Sausage

A friend of mine was about to throw a makita 481 away because it stopped working and was smoking. It's a 2014 brushless drill and looks hardly used so I've decided to try and rescue it.

I've got it home and it doesn't work, smoke just comes out from the battery area. Smells of strong plastic burning.

I've took it apart and noticed a black chard area around a resister which sits directly above the battery housing. This is the area the smoke comes out from.

Has anyone got any advice on this? Should I just purchased the same resistor and replace it?

View attachment 48783
Check out Miles Tools for parts. mtmc.co.uk/spares well good :)
 
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Repairing drills - makita in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom