Discuss replace ceiling rose wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jafsit

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in middle of refurbishing a bathroom, new flooring and wall and ceiling panels. Im not a builder, part time DIY and enthusiast and use YouTube as a learning resource

I'm also looking to replace an old ceiling light and attach a none-timer fan directly the light, so that when switch turns on light and fan comes on.

Bad bit is im completely new to electrician work and have the basic theory on lights such as loop in, out, Switch cable, and how they connect together.

However when checking the wiring of the light, its not clear to me what im suppose to do to connect the new LED light. I see 3 red wires hiding inside some selatape, see 3 black wires connecting directly to a t210 light holder. See some twisted copper screwed in to light base itself, assume that's earth. Please see pics.

What im after is a bit of guidance really as to, if you are familiar with this type of holder and how the wires are unplugged, if the three black wires are live neutral and earth, that have not been sleeved and how I would go about working out which one is which, if it looks like a straight forward job, I understand I would be better off calling an electrician but with covid timing and full lockdown am confident I can do this with some guidance and would be greatly appreciated. The new LED light is Just neutral and live, made from plastic.

oh and the fan, any advice on connecting the nutral and live connections from the fan to - is it permanent live and Neutral?? and a bit of advice if you have any, thanks again?

Please see picturesScreenshot_20201103-144652_Gallery.jpg

20201031_114107.jpg

20201031_113324.jpg

TL;DR
Replace ceiling rose wiring question

Attachments

• 20201031_113324.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201031_114107.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 6
OK> the 3 reds should go into a more suitable insulated connector, and do not connect to the light. the 2 blacks together ar neutrals and gointo the N terminal on the light. the single black is a switched live it should be sleeved red anfd goes into the L terminal of the light. your fan will then come off the L & N of the light. ( might need to joint first ). the bare earth wires should be sleeved green/yellow and go into the earth terminal of the light and also to the fan even if the fan has no earth terminal, then terminate the earth in a choc block at the fan.

Will the fan have it's own built in pull cord? If not then bear in mind if you go to the loo in the night then the fan will be on regardless. Also if you have a shower in the daytime, then the light will always need to be on for the fan to work.

personally i prefer the fan on it's own switch independent of the light. that gives the choice of whether to have it on or not. if you forget to put it on, your specs will steam up and you won't be able to find the soap.

Thanks very much for the responses gents! Really appreciate it!!

@telectrix, I have made a couple of diagrams to translate what I think you mean, I think I am nearly there and hopefully you can point me in the right direction if there are any obvious errors?? I am sure there will be!

@littlespark, thanks for the feedback will turn off consumer unit for sure!

@DPG - Thanks for heads up, and I have thought about that and as I have the same setup in my parents house, I feel I can live with it.

@telectrix - Haha love the humour :) Luckily my eyes are still ok, for now anyway.

Diagrams attached / below to ensure I am not making any obvious errors.

1st pic - with choc blocs

extractor fan with Wago.jpg

2nd pic - without

extractor fan without Wago.jpg

You cannot leave those connectors unenclosed like that as it poses a possible fire risk.
It works OK.
It's wired correctly, to operate as he's been told......so why worry about installation methods and safety?.............If your ignorant to the facts, that is.

Reply to replace ceiling rose wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net