Discuss Replace CU then PIR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chrishands

Hi.
I'm 3 weeks off completing my electrical training. L2 + L3 2356 installation, 17th Edition and T+I Quals achieved. working as an electrical maintainer, competent in what i'm doing.

I am not Part P registered, as a competent person.

Is it Viable, has anybody else done this:

My CU needs changing, and there are various additions already to the electrical system in my house.
If i was to change my CU myself, Then asked a local Electrician to complete a PIR and Testing, would this effectively 'sign off' the work i had done? It seems too 'cut throat' for small fish to enter the pond of house bashing and go down the road of a yearly subscription to a competent persons scheme.

Thanks

Remember this is just a question, before anybody decides to slate me.

A consumer unit change is notifiable to LABC under part P of the building regs. LABC may consider you competent enough to do the work if you ask them. Some people say failure to notify certain electrical work may invalidate your home insurance, I don't know if this is true. LABC sometimes accept an EICR in cases where the previously contracted electrician has done a runner but you'd need to check with them.

A consumer unit change is notifiable to LABC under part P of the building regs. LABC may consider you competent enough to do the work if you ask them. Some people say failure to notify certain electrical work may invalidate your home insurance, I don't know if this is true. LABC sometimes accept an EICR in cases where the previously contracted electrician has done a runner but you'd need to check with them.

Sometimes being the operative word.

For example Guildford LABC, will not accept EICR's and insist on £320 for an "approved" sparky of their choice, to do the necessary.

Given that £350 to £400 is the going rate here for a dual RCD board change why try and skimp at first?

And don't forget its not about just chucking in a shiny new CU, theres full testing and bonding & tails to consider

I understand it's not just about sticking a new CU on. The almost non existent crappy mangled 1mm earth bond on the main water pipe is one of tghe reasons I have considered doing the above. I trust myself more than a part p sparky out the local paper. Cant kitchen fitters and bricklayers with no proper training fluke their way to Part P.

I understand it's not just about sticking a new CU on. The almost non existent crappy mangled 1mm earth bond on the main water pipe is one of tghe reasons I have considered doing the above. I trust myself more than a part p sparky out the local paper. Cant kitchen fitters and bricklayers with no proper training fluke their way to Part P.
have a word with a local sparky, im sure you could install the bonding etc and everything else needed and take all fronts off and leave ends in board etc.

if you have done all the dog work then you will get a cheaper quote off some people

You don't have to be a member of a scheme to do a CU change. Why not find out what your local building control authority charge if you notify in advance, same as you would if you were pouring foundations or knocking down a load bearing wall? It may be cheaper than paying someone to do an EICR and paying a regularisation fee at a later date.

Or if you can't be bothered doing that, just do what everybody else seems to, and pretend it was like that when you arrived :frown:

Sometimes being the operative word.

For example Guildford LABC, will not accept EICR's and insist on £320 for an "approved" sparky of their choice, to do the necessary.

Given that £350 to £400 is the going rate here for a dual RCD board change why try and skimp at first?

And don't forget its not about just chucking in a shiny new CU, theres full testing and bonding & tails to consider
dont forget the £95 for meter plus to come fit you an isolator,

If you are competant to do the work in accordance with bs 7671 just do it,print off a generic EIC,fill it in,keep it for future reference and stuff part P. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for carrying out work in compliance with bs 7671 but not notifying..

Reply to Replace CU then PIR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock