Discuss Replace leisure battery with Cigarette socket in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rodgers86

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve got a campervan with a 75ah lead acid leisure battery. Wired via a split charge relay.

Now I’m tempted to get rid of that and just use a jackery or Bluetti for my power needs.

However when I remove the leisure battery, could the existing wiring be used to power a cigarette lighter socket?

This would be ideal as the lighter socket could be used to charge my portable battery, and as it’s off a split charge relay, I assume this would then only be on when the engine is running?

I had to look up what a Jackery and a Bluetti was before commenting.

Personally, I would leave the leisure battery in place as it will be designed and sized for the motor home. Use these other devices as supplementary power.

I take it both are solar, and contain their own battery? If so, what is the likely time the power from them can last? On their own…. Maybe not as long as you think.

I had to look up what a Jackery and a Bluetti was before commenting.

Personally, I would leave the leisure battery in place as it will be designed and sized for the motor home. Use these other devices as supplementary power.

I take it both are solar, and contain their own battery? If so, what is the likely time the power from them can last? On their own…. Maybe not as long as you think.

So I’ve not currently got solar.

And when I looked into door and fitting mppt etc it seemed a waste of time with a 75ah lead acid as it’s useable capacity isn’t great and it would be full of a solar panel pretty quick.

Then I though about upgrading that and the ln realised the portable ones, are LiFepo4 and have a built in mppt that would work with some solar panels on the roof.

The only reason I’d get rid of the existing battery is for space/weight, as once I have this it will only be connected to 4 led lights. Which could easily run off either the starter battery or just attached to a cigarette adapter and plugged into the jackery/Bluetti.

But I have considered just keeping the leisure battery for ease!

Reply to Replace leisure battery with Cigarette socket in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net