Discuss Replace lighting circuit to 17th Edition? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Quoting for a job where the entire downstairs lighting circuit needs re-doing. Currently the circuit runs from an old Wylex re-wireable fuse consumer unit.

If I only replace the light fittings (all smashed) and re-connect existing cables (subject to test) then what is my responsibility for bringing the circuit up to 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition e.g including RCD protection.

I know Wylex do the MCBs with the two prongs that will slot into an existing re-wireable consumer unit but do they do an RCBO version? If so I can't find it.

If I only replace the light fittings (all smashed) and re-connect existing cables (subject to test) then what is my responsibility for bringing the circuit up to 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition e.g including RCD protection.

You'd be replacing like for like and not making an alteration or addition wouldn't you ;) In that case, no need to bring up to current regs:thumbsup

I know Wylex do the MCBs with the two prongs that will slot into an existing re-wireable consumer unit but do they do an RCBO version? If so I can't find it.

From the rewire-able fuse to a RCD fused spur positioned near to the CU. This will protect entire circuit.

Obviously ensure that bonding is adequate etc

as ^^^^^. but would do no harm to measure IR and Zs for the circuit and do a MWC, although not essential.

i agree with tel i know your only replacing fittings but you will be braking the circuit when you remove the old fittings and fit the new so to confirm that the circuit is safe then i would carry out an r1r2 , ir, Zs and issue a minor works a minor works is reccomended just for peace of mind

If you make an alteration or addition then ensure that circuit complies.

DO NOT get involved in trying to make a s*** job good, trust me I got caught out once and never again. It takes longer than rewiring the circuit so rip it out and start again. Failing that, decide whether or not it's actually worth it.

:thumbsup

I always do the tests anyway - doesn't take long and good for peace of mind. This job looks as if it started out OK and has been f**ked about by various 'handymen' friends of the landlords over the years. Why use crimps or a junction box when you could just sellotape the joints together?

Reply to Replace lighting circuit to 17th Edition? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock