Discuss replace missing service fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jase31

Just bought a house that had gas and electric disconnected. The electric was disconnected by having the main service fuse pulled. What do I need to do to get the local elec company to replace? Is there a cost for this, and do I need any electrician to arrange this?

suggest phone british gas first for the gas to be reconnected. and discuss them being your suppliers for both gas and electric. they will then arrange for the electric to be reconnected.

and no, i don't work for them.

You just contact you supplier, British Gas, E-on, Scottish power etc and they will do the rest.

If you are going to have a dual fuel tarrif then the same people, or whoever your going to buy gas off.

Did you know when you bought the house the services were off? Do you know why they were off, was it a refurbishment or worse non payment? If it was non payment then you might have a few loops to jump through to get them back on.

Whatever it was I'm afraid there is more chance of you or someone paying for reconnection, than not paying.

just been through this heartache with a property !!! :( what a nightmare!! DNO, Supplier 3rd party engineers, paperwork, new Mpans, oh GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH

We've done 4 domestic PIR's this year because the supplier has insisted on a full test & inspection before reconnecting a previously disconnected installation!

The new owners paid us in each case and expected to receive reimbursment from the electricity supplier! I expect they won't!

Anyone else noticed this is happening?

Damned good idea in my opinion! :)

You just contact you supplier, British Gas, E-on, Scottish power etc and they will do the rest.

If you are going to have a dual fuel tarrif then the same people, or whoever your going to buy gas off.

Did you know when you bought the house the services were off? Do you know why they were off, was it a refurbishment or worse non payment? If it was non payment then you might have a few loops to jump through to get them back on.

Whatever it was I'm afraid there is more chance of you or someone paying for reconnection, than not paying.

Looks like the meter was damaged when the kitchen was removed, and "someone" pulled the fuse.

The tails would need replacing into the "damaged" meter, should I get an elec to replace the consumer unit and tails and leave them unconnected for the DNO to connect when the replace the fuse/meter, or can I get the DNO to reconnect the supply (i.e fuse & meter) and fit a isolator switch after the meter on the board.

Just guessing that there might be a good reason for that main fuse to have been pulled. I would make enquiries to dno to try and find out why - it may well be as IQ suggested earlier that they will want a PIR (inspection report) before they reconnect.
Here's the 20 20 hindsight bit ;) next time you buy a house like this might be worthwhile to get the electrics checked out before as they might (hopefully not for your sake) be in a really bad state

There will be a rewire and new CU job as part of the refurb, but need to get the cutout/meter board sorted first due to its location. If we can get the DNO to fit fuse/meter and isolator (i.e no further connection) - then when we can get an electrician to replace the CU and connect to the isolator. - Is it likely to be a problem for the DNO to replace meter and terminate on an isolator only.

Fitting of Isolators by DNO seems to be a new service they offer, and it seems to also be the luck of the draw, as on another thread on here a DNO are advising someone to get an electrician to fit the isolator and they will connect their side into it, which to be honest was in my experience how it was always done.

The DNO will most likely do the new head and tails into the meter, but will most likely insist on an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or report about the installation before they fit the main fuse. This would mean that after your rewire and new CU fitting, they would want from the electrician an EIC of what we call "Dead Tests", these are normal tests that an electrician will do before he energises the installation, and the electrician will know, or should know, what is needed.

All depends on who your supplier is. British gas would ome and replace your meter and install an isolator for the sparks to connect into. They never ask to see a test cert as most meter fitters are not qualified nor do they know what the test cert actually means.

Reply to replace missing service fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net