Discuss Replace Oven Halogen bulb. in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

UTreas

DIY
Reaction score
Current Oven bulb is Halogen G9 base 12.0V 2.5W, 5W Max per manual; Exact replacement not available. Best match is 120V 25W bulbs. Is it advisable to use these? in general why are oven bulbs low voltage? Thank you

Current Oven bulb is Halogen G9 base 12.0V 2.5W, 5W Max per manual; Exact replacement not available. Best match is 120V 25W bulbs. Is it advisable to use these? in general why are oven bulbs low voltage? Thank you

Welcome to the forum mate.
A 120V bulb will not work on 12V

What make and model is your oven?
have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see what they say about the bulbs?

I would have to say no since you stated 5 watts max per bulb I don’t think the bulb base will get to hot. I’m not sure about the low voltage on your bulbs, mine is 120vac

That is (possibly a copy of) an Osram sylvania 66725 oven 120v 25w 2800k g9 halogen light bulb
of which there seems to be a complete shortage of stock everywhere!
There are similar things available, but I don't know if they are rated for the oven environment, eg:

There seems to be confusion over the rating - for example, where did the suggestion that it was only 2.5W come from - you suggest the manual says 5W max, but I don't think they ever made such bulbs in 5W rating.

Last edited:
That is (possibly a copy of) an Osram sylvania 66725 oven 120v 25w 2800k g9 halogen light bulb
of which there seems to be a complete shortage of stock everywhere!
There are similar things available, but I don't know if they are rated for the oven environment, eg:

There seems to be confusion over the rating - for example, where did the suggestion that it was only 2.5W come from - you suggest the manual says 5W max, but I don't think they ever made such bulbs in 5W rating.
Manual for the appliance indicates 5W max. The original bulb is Sylvania Capsylite G9 marked what I read as 2.5W and 12 V. thnak you for the guidance. Unable to get any informaiton from the manufacturer Ktichen Aid/Whirlpool. Their site is selling a replacement bulb for ~34 USD.

I read (after saving & enlarging) the lamp as being 120V 25W.
Just that the lettering is badly spaced so it appears to be something else.

Not really helped by the fact that the numbers and lettering are composed of printed dots, so difficult to say where the number ends and a decimal point, if any, begins. To me, it reads 120V and 25W.
The 120V can be checked by measuring the voltage or temporarily fitting any 120V G9 lamp, and 25W is about what I'd expect an oven interior light to be rated at.
I fitted a couple of 2.5W G9 lamps earlier in the week, but they were LED types, and the equivalent brightness to about 25W halogen.

thank you
I'm still intrigued by this issue.
On further research I see there are indeed Kitchen Aid/ Whirlpool ovens that do use 12V 2.5W or 5Watt bulbs, example below.
But the markings on such bulbs are very clearly just 12V - no spurious zero after the 12 for example, and they have a different G4 base.
Could you clarify, is your oven a microwave or a conventional oven? And could you tell us the model number?

36F8100A-570B-4106-94E7-D3DD073ABA59.png

Bulb seems to be available from a seller in Florida (and from other sellers also):
That link may not be accessible from US, try searching for:

SYLVANIA Halogen Lamp 25 Watt 120 Volt G9 Base T4 Bulb Clear​

Last edited:

Reply to Replace Oven Halogen bulb. in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net