Discuss Replaced socket faceplate now socket not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Russell Whiting

We've recently moved into a flat which hasn't had nay updating in 15 years, so I'm in the process of replacing the socket faceplates.

After replacing one in the spare room today the socket isn't working. There are four sockets in the room, I've replaced three of them. One of the replaced is working, but two new and the remaining existing isn't

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing your posts and with the lack of profile info, can I assume your electrical knowledge is limited to DIY level and you possess no professional test equipment?

I ask so that we can tag your details with the relevent label so members can tailor their responses to suit. :)

Can I ask how you went on with the pull switch problem?

icon1.png
Bathroom lighting question
Having recently moved into a flat and found that much of the electrical work is best described as "bodged", I went to change the switch for the bathroom light (which is on the external wall) to find that bell wire runs from the switch to a box on the ceiling (which I had assumed was for a redundant fan) where the live, neutral and earth wires come in from the loft.

My question is; would fitting a pull chord to the ceiling and cut out the switch and bell wire work? And if so is a 6A the one for the job?

Thanks in advance!​

Something was right before you messed with it. Now something is wrong after you messed with it. You don't know why this is. Get someone who does know why to fix it for you.

Agree with the above - get someone in who can check it out and test it appropriately. Daz

Can I ask how you went on with the pull switch problem?

icon1.png
Bathroom lighting question
Having recently moved into a flat and found that much of the electrical work is best described as "bodged", I went to change the switch for the bathroom light (which is on the external wall) to find that bell wire runs from the switch to a box on the ceiling (which I had assumed was for a redundant fan) where the live, neutral and earth wires come in from the loft.

My question is; would fitting a pull chord to the ceiling and cut out the switch and bell wire work? And if so is a 6A the one for the job?

Thanks in advance!​

all sorted

Reply to Replaced socket faceplate now socket not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net