Discuss replacement cu not acceptable for NIC / Napit certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jjjinx

-
Reaction score
I've had my assessment, and my work consists of replacing cu's, EICR's & maintenance work. Not often do i do any work that requires adding two additional circuits, so now I can't get certified after 15 years of being a sparky.... gutted! I've always got certified with a new cu but now they've moved the goal posts, back to a general labourer then....

Last edited:
I've had my assessment, and my work consists of replacing cu's, EICR's & maintenance work. Not often do i do any work that requires adding two additional circuits, so now I can't get certified after 15 years of being a sparky.... gutted! I've always got certified with a new cu but now they've moved the goal posts, back to a general labourer then....
Strange. Would have thought and new CU would be ideal? Why don’t you show them a new CU install and that that the last two circuits were additional? 😜

Do you have a shed? Does it need (circuit 1) some sockets and (circuit 2) some lights?

Or perhaps your consumer unit in the house is under the stairs? Would be good to have a socket there to charge the hoover... and gosh, it's rather dark under the stairs isn't it?

Do you have a shed? Does it need (circuit 1) some sockets and (circuit 2) some lights?

Or perhaps your consumer unit in the house is under the stairs? Would be good to have a socket there to charge the hoover... and gosh, it's rather dark under the stairs isn't it?
yeah i said that to the assessor that I'd be forced to add a couple of circuits unnecessarily to my mums house and rip em out again each year. They said not acceptable, can't even do work at my house cos they said its not acceptable either.... not a happy bunny

I'd have to find a family member each year who doesn't mind me adding to their house, i might of done it too if i'd known before the visit.

Domestic Competent Person Scheme Retention
In order to apply for/retain Domestic Competent Person Scheme certification, a sample of domestic installation work and relevant systems must be made available for assessment.
As detailed in appendix 3 of The Electrical Scheme Guide (available on our website), work your business has completed on your own premises is not acceptable for a surveillance assessment.
Please note if relevant domestic installation work is not available at the assessment, additional chargeable assessment time will be required to attain or retain certification for domestic installation work.

They didn't even tell me they'd changed the rules, it was ok last year!

I had this discussion with my NICEIC assessor very recently.

In the past, with ELECSA, most years I presented a consumer unit change, and that was always sufficent. Now (sadly) merged into NICEIC, I noticed that was no longer enough, and in fact ditched the job I'd planned to use, and found another job that also included some new circuits. But mostly what I like and do in the way of notifiable work is consumer unit changes.

Explaining this to my assessor, he said he'd be happy with just an extra small circuit, and more or less said you can always install a new socket under the consumer unit! Whether this is enough I expect comes down to the individual assessor, and I'd not risk it, so I'm going to make sure I have a job with a decent new circuit or two, even if it means installing something for free for a customer, to be able to use the job.

Emergency light in the cupboard under the stairs, to illuminate the smart meter.
socket next to consumer unit for charging stuff.
just a couple of possibilities.

remember that all smart meters can be remotely turned into pre payment meters now.
when the credit runs out, it is nice to see where you are looking to find the key?

remember that all smart meters can be remotely turned into pre payment meters now.
when the credit runs out, it is nice to see where you are looking to find the key?

Have you ever seen a slot for a key on a smart meter?

A smart meter which has been set to pre-payment will use a smart/online payment system so does not use a key.

NIC but phoned Napit they the same

Are you already a member trying to revalidate on annual assessment? Or trying to join and get registered?

I’m with Napit, never had any drama with them, but normally show them a decent sized job like a rewire each year.

Really surprised they won't accept a CU change for your assessment work. They are much more challenging IMO compared to installing new circuits.

How challenging a job is doesn't really matter.

The point of the domestic installer scheme and the assessment is to show that a contractor is competent to do the full spectrum of domestic work.

It's possibly that there's no element of design in a CU change, whereas there is with a new circuit, even if it is minimal.

My first DI scam assessment was at my own house which consisted of a board change and 2 sockets below it on a 16a radial.
I think my second DI scam assessment was a small extension + board change
No idea why the Scams are even still in business really , totally waste of time and money if you ask me...

How challenging a job is doesn't really matter.

The point of the domestic installer scheme and the assessment is to show that a contractor is competent to do the full spectrum of domestic work.
If that were the case, then the candidate would be assessed for the full spectrum of domestic work (which would include board changes, alterations/additions, fault-finding, EICRs etc), rather than the narrow scope of 2 new circuits, chosen by the candidate.

If that were the case, then the candidate would be assessed for the full spectrum of domestic work (which would include board changes, alterations/additions, fault-finding, EICRs etc), rather than the narrow scope of 2 new circuits, chosen by the candidate.

That would be the ideal situation yes, but like most things in life there has to be a compromise.

I just don't think that after years of complaining that the domestic installer scheme is too easy to join and too easy to pass the assessment that we should now complain that it has been made slightly harder to pass.

That would be the ideal situation yes, but like most things in life there has to be a compromise.

I just don't think that after years of complaining that the domestic installer scheme is too easy to join and too easy to pass the assessment that we should now complain that it has been made slightly harder to pass.

I don't see how it's harder to pass by removing board changes from the assessment, only more awkward for some.

Someone that never does board changes can get through the assessment with 2 easy circuits, and can then go on to notify board changes, without any assessment of their abilities to do so. Yet our OP can't. Crazy.

Are you already a member trying to revalidate on annual assessment? Or trying to join and get registered?

I’m with Napit, never had any drama with them, but normally show them a decent sized job like a rewire each year.
I was a member, now I'm without until i can find a job that needs two circuits. I mainly do rentals where its upgrades / maintenance / small jobs.

I think they are trying to cut out the small guy, I had a job with one new circuit but still not acceptable.

Reply to replacement cu not acceptable for NIC / Napit certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock