Discuss replacement cu not acceptable for NIC / Napit certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My first DI scam assessment was at my own house which consisted of a board change and 2 sockets below it on a 16a radial.
I think my second DI scam assessment was a small extension + board change
No idea why the Scams are even still in business really , totally waste of time and money if you ask me...
Not allowed to show work at your business address on NIC, not sure about Napit. small radials are not acceptable. If its not got you this time round they will get you next time so be warned have something to show.

Perhaps try one of the other schemes, I was with the now defunct Elecsa. I think NIC is too interested in larger companies, rather than sole traders.

That would be the ideal situation yes, but like most things in life there has to be a compromise.

I just don't think that after years of complaining that the domestic installer scheme is too easy to join and too easy to pass the assessment that we should now complain that it has been made slightly harder to pass.
slightly harder to pass? how many cu's have 2 extra ways that someone wants 2 extra circuits added I'd find a 4 leaf clover before that happens.
If your doing a loft conversion or the like maybe but generally if its only couple of sockets and lights its extended off the original. If its a conservatory / extension is only one extra and the lights fused off of it.

I've can't think of a job in the last 5 years that I've had to add 2 extra circuits to, I don't do rewires very often, like the last one was 7/8 years ago.

slightly harder to pass? how many cu's have 2 extra ways that someone wants 2 extra circuits added I'd find a 4 leaf clover before that happens.
If your doing a loft conversion or the like maybe but generally if its only couple of sockets and lights its extended off the original. If its a conservatory / extension is only one extra and the lights fused off of it.

I've can't think of a job in the last 5 years that I've had to add 2 extra circuits to, I don't do rewires very often, like the last one was 7/8 years ago.
Where did the 2 extra circuits come from

It always used to be 'a' new circuit , never any mention of having to be 2

slightly harder to pass? how many cu's have 2 extra ways that someone wants extra circuits for in a standard property. If your doing a loft conversion or the like maybe but generally if its only couple of sockets and lights its extended off the original. If its a conservatory / extension is only one extra and the lights fused off of it.

If you think about, an alteration or addition in general terms isn't notifiable. So you wouldn't need the services of the NIC. Perhaps that's their thinking, you'll have to show more, and perhaps a CU change just doesn't demonstrate any design thought as such.

I appreciate it is a couple of years since I've done regular domestic work but when I did there was a usually at least a couple of jobs installing a submain to an outbuilding along with final circuits in the outbuilding or other small jobs requiring new circuits.

I don't see how it's harder to pass by removing board changes from the assessment, only more awkward for some.

Someone that never does board changes can get through the assessment with 2 easy circuits, and can then go on to notify board changes, without any assessment of their abilities to do so. Yet our OP can't. Crazy.

They shouldn't get through with 2 easy circuits, the NICEIC guidance calls for substantial circuits, so not just a single socket next to the DB.

They shouldn't get through with 2 easy circuits, the NICEIC guidance calls for substantial circuits, so not just a single socket next to the DB.
When I said easy circuits, I meant that I think that new circuits are easy to design, verify, and for the most part install too. Much easier than altering or adding to existing circuits IMO. The work is all yours so you know exactly what is where, and how it should be. Any problems, it's easy to re-trace your steps and put right.

Contrast that with a board change where you're working with an existing installation that is completely unfamiliar to you, that has probably grown organically over many years and many editions of the regs. You have to make sense of it, put any wrongs right, then do the actual board change itself (which can be the devils own game), and verify the whole thing, all to a time limit. Much harder work IMO.

I appreciate it is a couple of years since I've done regular domestic work but when I did there was a usually at least a couple of jobs installing a submain to an outbuilding along with final circuits in the outbuilding or other small jobs requiring new circuits.
I think Napit might be a little more lenient with their requirements after a 2nd conversation on the phone though its down to the assessor on the day not the person on the phone. Hoping that a supply from the main cu to a shed / garage with a cu & couple of circuits will suffice.

Reply to replacement cu not acceptable for NIC / Napit certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock