Discuss Replacement shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

keniff

-
Reaction score
If your replacing a shower like for like power wise, are you under any obligation to supply rcd for this? As no alteration has been made to the circuit and no change of opd has been done?

100% sure that the instructions will state that the shower is to be supplied by a 30ma RCD protective device.

i would be fitting one either way...

If the manufactures instructions state to be rcd protected it does not matter what bs7671 says it must be rcd protected. They supersede bs7671
No they don't.
The manufacturer's instructions are required to be taken account of.
510.3 "Every item of equipment shall be selected and erected so as to allow compliance with the regulations stated in this chapter and the relevant regulations in other parts of BS7671 and shall take account of manufacturers' instructions."

Good workmanship ... Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment.

Good workmanship ... Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment.
That relates to the process of erection, i.e. how high up the wall, the distance from windows or doors etc.

With regards to manufactures' specifiing the provision of an RCD in their instructions.
As far as I'm aware, most appear to use the word 'should', or in the case of triton, state that the instructions are for guidance.
As far as I'm aware, the only condition that must be met in all cases, is that if installing a 230V shower, it must be connected to a 230V/240V supply.

Had this with niceic before. Manufacturers instruction supersede 7671 . No more to be said. If you do not install to manufactures instructions it will not comply as they will never instruct you to do anything against the regs but they may ask you to go over and above the minimum standard.

Had this with niceic before. Manufacturers instruction supersede 7671 . No more to be said. If you do not install to manufactures instructions it will not comply as they will never instruct you to do anything against the regs but they may ask you to go over and above the minimum standard.
Could I suggest that you find a set of instructions where it is states that an RCD must installed?

I've had a job where I replaced like for like and manufacturers instructions stated must be rcd protected. Fitting a rcd then requires an EIC which ment upgrading the earthing arrangements.

I assume if manufacturers instructions supersede BS7671 then this would have to be listed as a departure from the regs on any certificate

This could also be interesting in a court if the manufacturers instructions due to errors did not fully meet the requirements of the regs and an incident occurred

I assume if manufacturers instructions supersede BS7671 then this would have to be listed as a departure from the regs on any certificate

This could also be interesting in a court if the manufacturers instructions due to errors did not fully meet the requirements of the regs and an incident occurred

my driving licence doesn't tell me not to run people over, but it doesn't mean I can

Reply to Replacement shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net