Discuss Replacement twin grill element not working - other possible causes? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stoutlad

The grill element blew the other day and I ordered and received a new one, fitted it and it's still not working. Could it have blown something else withing the cooker? All 4 wires are connected but there's no heat. The grill fan is working. I am stumped.
The cooker is listed as a Hotpoint UY46 MK2 on the manual, UY46 on a sticker that came with the manual and UY46X on the sticker that is on the cooker! I can't be sure I have the correct part but it fits and looks exactly the same as the old one and is 2600w. Some spares sites show 1300w half size elements for that model number but it is definitely a one piece element

Edit> having checked on the Hotpoint site it is UY46X MK2 and the element I have is the right one, it's just not working for some reason

Last edited by a moderator:
I have now discovered they have sent me a 1330w instead of a 2660w element. Not sure whether that's my mistake or theirs but would that be the reason for it not working?

Edit.. or maybe not. It has 1330w/ 1330w on it which may mean 1330 either side whereas the original only has 2660w on it, whatever the reason I can't get it to work anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
an accurate measurement of the element resistance will tell what wattage it is. as above, a spark should be able to find the fault as well.

Have you tested the old element? It may still be OK and the fault could be due to a wiring or switch fault. If the element is visibly damaged, it may have shorted out and taken out a switch or some of the wiring with it. Sounds like a pro call out is needed.

Thanks. The old one has a hole in it, maybe it has blown something else. Everything else on the cooker is working but suppose it could just be wiring for the grill that's gone. I'm waiting for an electrician to get back in touch. I left a message on his answer machine yesterday but he hasn't got back to me yet

Element is okay. It is not known what the problem is but it looks as though it has to be the regulator, new one ordered

one of the things about testing is that you need to keep track of the test results and compare them to new units.
while there may be small difference in the readings a large difference can indicate problems that may not be visible, or issues elsewhere.
drastic differences for example infinite resistance -open circuit, no resistance - short.
with 3 phase motors large difference in winding readings could indicate failing insulation in one of the windings.

New regulator fitted and still not working so I'm not spending any more on it, ÂŁ78 wasted already. New oven getting ordered

get the same model then you've got spares in stock.:lol:

Reply to Replacement twin grill element not working - other possible causes? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net