Discuss Replacing 2 x 4 flourescent troffers with LED units. Not sure about lumens/brightness. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
This in a kitchen/dining area of maybe a little over 200 sq. ft. (10 x 21ish). Presently have 4 flourescent troffers with standard 2 40w lamps each, mounted in the drop ceiling. Pic is attached. Want to convert over to LED troffers. I would not want any more brightness than I do now, and slightly less would be OK.

I was reading up on 3k and 4k lumen LED fixtures, and it sound like they are quite bright. Originally I was going to replace each of my 4 flour. units with an LED fixture. In the exact same locations. Now I'm wondering if I could get away with just 2 or 3 LED troffers of 3-4k lumens each, and in which drop ceiling locations, to roughly replicate the lighting I have now. A little less brightness is OK, and am convinced that 4 LED units might be too much. So... maybe 2 or 3 LED troffers, and what locations in drop ceiling?

Thanks for any assistance!

Added: Had a good pic of ceiling and present fixtures, but site won't let me upload them . "File too large." Really? One pic of a drop ceiling with 4 fixtures. Wonder what CAN be uploaded??

This in a kitchen/dining area of maybe a little over 200 sq. ft. (10 x 21ish). Presently have 4 flourescent troffers with standard 2 40w lamps each, mounted in the drop ceiling. Pic is attached. Want to convert over to LED troffers. I would not want any more brightness than I do now, and slightly less would be OK.

I was reading up on 3k and 4k lumen LED fixtures, and it sound like they are quite bright. Originally I was going to replace each of my 4 flour. units with an LED fixture. In the exact same locations. Now I'm wondering if I could get away with just 2 or 3 LED troffers of 3-4k lumens each, and in which drop ceiling locations, to roughly replicate the lighting I have now. A little less brightness is OK, and am convinced that 4 LED units might be too much. So... maybe 2 or 3 LED troffers, and what locations in drop ceiling?

Thanks for any assistance!

Added: Had a good pic of ceiling and present fixtures, but site won't let me upload them . "File too large." Really? One pic of a drop ceiling with 4 fixtures. Wonder what CAN be uploaded??

Use a lower resolution setting. That's the trouble with phones these days - every picture gets taken at multi mega pixel levels and ends up huge.

Have you considered replacing jut the fluorescent tubes with LED equivalents?
Not really, cuz I think the involves changing ballasts, and possibly the 4 tombstone lamp holders. Is there any advantage to this, when I can get a decent Lithonia LED troffer, new, for like $60?

Use a lower resolution setting. That's the trouble with phones these days - every picture gets taken at multi mega pixel levels and ends up huge.
Pic as taken with wife's digital camera. Will try to find out if resolution is adjustable, and dial it down as long as pics still have adequate, if not great, resolution. Took pics with this camera this AM for 2 diff. Craigslist ads, and had no problem with "file size." ;-)

The ballast is no longer required with the replacement tubes, and with a conventional one, can usually just be left in circuit. These tubes are often supplied with a replacement 'starter', which is usually just a fused shorting link.
The big advantage of replacement tubes is the saving on time changing the fittings, and no decoration to patch up.

OK, I've thought of a way to make my query simpler. I have 4 fluorescent troffers and each has 2 T12 bulbs of, supposedly, 2400 lumens each. So let's call each troffer 4800 lumens. (?)

So if I get 4 LED troffers of 4k lumens each, do I indeed want to swap out fluor.-to-LED at a one-to-one ratio? Realizing that I am losing a little brightness (800 lumens per troffer)? That's OK, cuz as i stated earlier, the brightness of the existing 4 fluor. troffers is on the high side.

I am only confused because I read an article that claimed a 3k LED fixture is very bright, and adequate for a 10 x 10 room. My kitchen and dining area is ~ 10 x 21 ft.

The replacement LED tubes tend to have lower lumen output than the fluorescents they replace, but they are directional, so not so much wasted light. I have about 20 LED tubes in use here, plus about the same again that are unmodified. The light from the replacements appears marginally less than the originals, but they are full brightness from switch on, and no flashing.

The ballast is no longer required with the replacement tubes, and with a conventional one, can usually just be left in circuit. These tubes are often supplied with a replacement 'starter', which is usually just a fused shorting link.
The big advantage of replacement tubes is the saving on time changing the fittings, and no decoration to patch up.
Existing ballasts/fixtures are 26 years old I figure. If I leave the old ballast in the circuit, if it dies will the newer LED tubes function, or are they totally dependent on the ballast since incoming power goes to ballast first.
I read something about LED tubes that don't even need or want the ballast, so I guess the tombstone wiring is wired straight to incoming power?
Your idea could be a good, cheaper option. But do the LED tubes last as long (like 50-72,000 hrs) like these LED troffers with integrated LED lamps?? Part of my goal is to make house as maintenance-free as possible, and save energy too. An LED troffer with 72,000 hour lifespan sounds pretty good in theory.

The replacement LED tubes tend to have lower lumen output than the fluorescents they replace, but they are directional, so not so much wasted light. I have about 20 LED tubes in use here, plus about the same again that are unmodified. The light from the replacements appears marginally less than the originals, but they are full brightness from switch on, and no flashing.
You really helped me out by suggesting the LED tube in the existing fluorescent fixtures. Did some research and learned exactly what lumens and Kelvins would work, and to get a Type B tubes for ballast bypass. Got tubes with 50,000 hours life. Also learned that I had non-shunted tombstones so those didn't need to be replaced.

Tombstones rewired, ballasts removed, and new lighting looks awesome. You saved me a lot of money doing it this way. Just $90 for 8 Westinghouse tubes, instead of 4 LED troffers at $70+ each. Thanks for the advice!

Reply to Replacing 2 x 4 flourescent troffers with LED units. Not sure about lumens/brightness. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock