Discuss Replacing 250w Sodium wall lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

After bit of help on this one please.... pricing to replace some church lighting.

Currently have in place 250watt sodium wall lights, curved up/ down style (I'll try an attach a picture of something similar.) Ceiling height is around 8 metres, lights mounted at around 5 metres from FFL.

Want to get an LED equivalent, which I've been told is around 100w LED.

They want to keep same sort of style as gives good back ground light.

Thanks Sy
Replacing 250w Sodium wall lights 71990_20160803103400 - EletriciansForums.net Replacing 250w Sodium wall lights IMG_0684 - EletriciansForums.net

i'd have thought 50watt LED would be as bright if not brighter.

Definitely Sodium? If so the colour temperature of the LED fittings is likely to be vastly different.

Remove gear and install corn lamps, if fittings are in good condition.
Just done that in a church. Light levels much higher from existing up lights, as required. Get warm white.
100w led is equivalent to about 400w metal halide.... or sodium, I suppose. Just make sure you've got room in the fitting, especially around the lampholder.

Colour will be nothing like the sodium lamps make sure they are warned it won't be such a warm colour churches can be picky

Thanks Guys for all the pointers...... was going to go for a 3000k if so, and more than likely rig up a sample on plug top to show them first.

Remove gear and install corn lamps, if fittings are in good condition.
Never heard of these Andy, do they come back up on/ full temperature instantly after switched off? Thats why they are getting fed up with sodium (as well as running cost.)

Thanks Guys for all the pointers...... was going to go for a 3000k if so, and more than likely rig up a sample on plug top to show them first.

Never heard of these Andy, do they come back up on/ full temperature instantly after switched off? Thats why they are getting fed up with sodium (as well as running cost.)

Corn lamps are LED, so no they don't have a startup time.

Changing to LED of equivalent light output won't change the running costs much, and if you don't get very good quality LED they may even increase power consumption for the same light output.
Sodium lamps were, until quite recently, more energy efficient than LED.

Hi Guys

After bit of help on this one please.... pricing to replace some church lighting.

Currently have in place 250watt sodium wall lights, curved up/ down style (I'll try an attach a picture of something similar.) Ceiling height is around 8 metres, lights mounted at around 5 metres from FFL.

Want to get an LED equivalent, which I've been told is around 100w LED.

They want to keep same sort of style as gives good back ground light.

Thanks Sy
View attachment 55884 View attachment 55885

Honestly it is all down to the colour tempreture and the lumen output , if you are lucky enough to find the spec of this sodium on it is very easy to get near like for like.... he may need to change all as lighting can look odd if different in various locations. :)

Reply to Replacing 250w Sodium wall lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock