Discuss replacing 4.8v 1.5a power adaptor/charger with 5v 1a or 5v 2a? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I have a set of cordless hair clippers that have a 18650 lithium ion battery inside. I popped it open and found 1 battery inside which is

ICR 18650 2000 MAH 3.7V 18KPH20 Lithium Battery

The original power adaptor/charger that came with the hair clippers was a 4.8v 1.5a, it is a normal-sized power adaptor/charger, its not one of those old heavy ones or anything.

the power adaptor stopped working and I can’t find a replacement one locally and don’t wanna spend extra $ if I don’t have to. It has a wierd type of connector on the end so it’s not really common.

I have some spare 5v 1a and or 5v 2a that I can splice and use. Just wondering what the better bet would be?

I tested the 5v 2a adaptor and it’s pulling 5.5-5.6v with my multimeter with no load which seems kinda high. I spliced into the special hair clipper cord and it seems to be working alright. During the charging I tested the voltage at the splice site and it was around 5.09V - 5.15 V.

I know lithium batteries need a special type of charger and or voltage etc, so I decided to pop open the clipper and test voltage at the board. Attached is a picture. So I plugged it into the charger and it was 5.1V ish at the splice site, I tested the voltage at the board exaclty where the charging prongs connect and it was 4.7V at that spot during charging. I then moved the multimeter to the part where the battery was connected and it was 3.9V at that spot. I am not an electirican or anything but it seems like the board is lowering the voltage slightly to charge the battery. The clippers do have a charge light that shuts off when its charged so I assume it will shut off when its charged but I havent fully charged it with my spliced adaptor/charger since I just want to double check on if this is fine.

So I had a few questions, please correct me if I am wrong

1. Since the power adaptor/charger is used the charge the lithium ion battery in the clippers, that means it should not matter which amperage of power adaptor I use right? because a lower amperage will just charge slightly slower. Or should I still use a higher amp charger as in 2a just incase the battery pulls more then the 1a that the spliced adaptor gives?

2. The power adaptor I used was pulling 5.5-5.6V when nothing was plugged in, I feel like thats kinda high so i was thinking of just finding another 5v power adaptor (i have tons sitting at home) splicing at that and seeing if i can get it down lower? with load, it was down to 5.1-5.15v which is better ofc.

3. If this seems to be working correctly, I was thinking of just splicing the power cord into an old usb cable because then I can just use any ordinary usb wall charger. Would that work fine? most of the usb wall chargers i have laying around are around 5v 1a or 5v 2a

Thanks a ton beforehand for the help!

board pic

Attachments

• IMG_1381.JPG
    528.3 KB · Views: 3

Reply to replacing 4.8v 1.5a power adaptor/charger with 5v 1a or 5v 2a? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net