Discuss Replacing a 13A plug fuse with solid brass in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I read once, never seen one for sale, that there is a solid brass replacement for the standard 13A fuse in a 13A plug. This is to eliminate the fusing in the plug, which is handy when having a heavy appliance plugged in behind itself, like under worktops which are isolated and fused by an FCU.

Anyone know where they are available, if they are?

On a dedicated radial with its own MCB and say a 20A isolator switch a washing machine can have a 15A fuseless round pin socket and plug. That is fine, but many manufacturers say that if you remove the 13A moulded plug the guarantee is void. This would never hold up court if an appliance is connected to regulation being sound and safe, but it is avoiding the hassle factor from these irresponsible makers.

Last edited:
No, I disagree.
never replace the fuse from a 13A plug with a solid link.
who is to say it will stay plugged into the dedicated socket that has the right upstream protection?

if you want to use an unused plug of a different type, thats fine as long as you have designed adequate protection into the circuit.

I read once, never seen one for sale, that there is a solid brass replacement for the standard 13A fuse in a 13A plug. This is to eliminate the fusing in the plug, which is handy when having a heavy appliance plugged in behind itself, like under worktops which are isolated and fused by an FCU.

Anyone know where they are available, if they are?

On a dedicated radial with its own MCB and say a 20A isolator switch a washing machine can have a 15A fuseless round pin socket and plug. That is fine, but many manufacturers say that if you remove the 13A moulded plug the guarantee is void. This would never hold up court if an appliance is connected to regulation being sound and safe, but it is avoiding the hassle factor from these makers.
seen a .22 cartridge in a plug top once and it was still live, fired it after I removed it

No, I disagree.
never replace the fuse from a 13A plug with a solid link.
who is to say it will stay plugged into the dedicated socket that has the right upstream protection?

if you want to use an unused plug of a different type, thats fine as long as you have designed adequate protection into the circuit.
Say behind a fixed integrated washing machine. It is not going to be plugged into anywhere else. The best is a 15A round pin and shuttered socket behind the washing machine. The problem is awkward manufacturers wanting to side step their warrantee obligations, otherise a 15A round pin is the best choice, which cannot be plugged into anything else.

The question was, where are these solid links available?

Say behind a fixed integrated washing machine. It is not going to be plugged into anywhere else. The best is a 15A round pin and shuttered socket behind the washing machine. The problem is awkward manufacturers wanting to side step their warrantee obligations, otherise a 15A round pin is the best choice, which cannot be plugged into anything else.

The question was, where are these solid links available?

And I suspect the answer is that they aren't. I also think that you are probably the only person on this forum who would buy them.

Other members feel free to prove me wrong.

You say removing the manufacturers moulded plug voids warranty, that is a separate argument but replacing the provided fuse link with a solid link doesn't?
Why would anyone unless homemade produce such an item for sale.

And I suspect the answer is that they aren't. I also think that you are probably the only person on this forum who would buy them.

Other members feel free to prove me wrong.
Prove you wrong on what? They are not available? I have done a google on solid links, not successful so far?

I will do what is sound, safe and to the regs. A solid link in plug after a DP 13A FCU is well within regs, safe and sound.

Prove you wrong on what? They are not available? I have done a google on solid links, not successful so far?

I will do what is sound, safe and to the regs. A solid link in plug after a DP 13A FCU is well within regs, safe and sound.

Welcome back John. I hope you get a bite.

Which Regulations would these be. What about an answer to #7.

You say removing the manufacturers moulded plug voids warranty, that is a separate argument but replacing the provided fuse link with a solid link doesn't?
Why would anyone unless homemade produce such an item for sale.
Solid links for all sorts are available.
I say some manufacturers try to side step warrantee claims by nick picking, and one is that the moulded plug may be not removed. It may be replaced by a sound and safe plug to regs, but they try and fob you off. It may be that the appliance is hard wired in, they will still try and fob you off so they will not pay.

A washing machine or dryer off an FCU is protected by a fuse - no problem there. The makers cannot kick up. Solid links are not illegal. Used with caution of course, fine in the right circumstances.

If you know the makers will not play up over a pedantic point, a 15A unfused (they can be fused) round pin plug/socket is the best option.

Last edited:
Ive seen many hifi people strip out all fuses . They claim they get a much better sound .

That is a new one on me. I wonder how the fuse effects the electronics.

You'd be surprised what hifi enthusiasts do. Have a web search for hifi mains plugs, IEC leads, etc. And check out the prices.

Say behind a fixed integrated washing machine. It is not going to be plugged into anywhere else.
Why would you need a solid link in the plug of an integrated appliance? Besides you don't buy solid links you just cut the head off an m6 screw/bolt, everyone knows that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing a 13A plug fuse with solid brass in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net